What Size Dessert Style Cake?

Business By TheItalianBaker Updated 17 Aug 2014 , 7:53pm by Paperfishies

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 12

the company my husband works for is going to have a meeting in Sept. with some clients and they would like some dessert style cake.

What size should a dessert style cake be? I was thinking 8", 2 layers of cake and 1 of filling, 10 servings?

like this pic? or is this serving too big?

11 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 12

that sounds, and looks fine.  People are not going to be looking for a big celebration cake like at a party, as it's a business meeting, so they'll probably want just a small piece.

Good Luck.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 12

I sell dessert cakes as an all natural bakery.  My Celebration Cakes are approx 2" high cakes made of 2 cake layers and 1 Layer of Buttercream or  Filling.  So for me a Celebration cake that is 8” Serves 8-14 depending on how it is cut.  8” cakes can be generously served to 8 people, cutting each slice about 3 inches across the back. 8" cakes can be sensibly served to 14 people cutting each slice at about 2 inches across the back.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 12

May I ask what $ you sell these for? I am always getting calls for 'small cakes'...as in these.....think I need to add them to my menu items.....

Singerssoul Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 1:40am
post #5 of 12

This is with my customers choosing from a single buttercream flavor and cake flavor. For the 8" Celebration cake that is frosted and filled with my basic all butter buttercream and decorated in a standard bakery style (no design choice of any kind) it runs $28. If they wish to add an all natural fruit filling that would be $36. I offer the same size in some specialty cakes like German Chocolate or Chocolate Overload cake and those are $42. I am an all natural bakery without preservatives of any kind or artificial colors/flavors.My pricing is based upon my area, costs, and my created pricing index.

TheItalianBaker Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 12

AThank you! I'm going to offer 8" cake, 10 servings for $30 plus taxes! They placed an order for tuesday to try my products, I hope they will like everything so I can get more business from them!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 12

AWowza! Those are some Jethro Bodine servings. An 8" cake is easily 20 servings. Wedding is 24 servings.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

Wowza! Those are some Jethro Bodine servings. An 8" cake is easily 20 servings. Wedding is 24 servings.

Yep, I would cut those slices in half! Especially for a business meeting.

TheItalianBaker Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 12

A

Original message sent by leah_s

Wowza! Those are some Jethro Bodine servings. An 8" cake is easily 20 servings. Wedding is 24 servings.

I already use Wilton serving chart. But these cakes are going to be 2" tall, so 10 servings is about right. Also they showed me some pictures of their buffets, the slices of cake they have are as big as the slices in the pic!

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 12

My dessert cakes are 8" round and 2"-2.5" tall, 12 servings- perfect, not small, not big, just enough.

Singerssoul Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 4:40am
post #11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

Leah, aren't you cakes 4" tall though?  My 8" Celebration cakes are only 2" while my 8" Event cakes are 4" (4 layers of cake and 3 of filling)  and serve up to 24 and start at $48 and go up from there with the same kind of selection as the Celebration cakes. So for me Event cakes are meant to serve up to double what the Celebration cake would.The taller servings allow for smaller slices.  I tend to only offer dessert cakes that can be still reasonably cut into wedges, well at least the Celebrations cakes.  The Event cakes are meant to be cut along wedding cake cutting guides and instructions are provided on how to do it. And I charge for the most each size cake will generally serve based upon mu cutting guides I provide.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 7:53pm
post #12 of 12

My table cakes/dessert cakes are 8 inch round, 4 layers of cake, 3 of filling.  I say they serve 14-16.  I use this Ateco cake marker.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ateco-1328-double-sided-10-1-2-cake-marker-14-16-slices-august-thomsen/1441328.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%