Gum Paste Rainbow?

Decorating By KellyB23 Updated 13 Aug 2014 , 9:03pm by KellyB23

KellyB23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyB23 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 4

I'm relatively new to cake decorating and I'm interested in making gum paste rainbows for my daughter's My Little Pony-inspired birthday cake. Is gum paste the best medium? Should I use wires to shape the rainbows (they'll be placed upright against cake, along the bottom of the tier)? Do I paint the gum paste with gel food color/vodka combination after or before the gum paste dries? Also, how long does it dry? I appreciate any and all advice, please! Thank you!

3 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 4:24am
post #2 of 4

ARoll your rainbow coloured gumpaste into ropes all with the same size/width. Cover with cling wrap to prevent drying. If you have an extruder that would be great, if not no worries. Then according to the order of the rainbow, shape your gumpaste ropes into your desired shape/width of your rainbow. Use water or gum glue (gumpaste dissolved in warm water) to glue the ropes together. Trim the bottoms. You can paint on luster dust if you want at this time.

Let dry for 48 hrs away from direct sunlight or light to prevent from fading.

You said that this rainbow will stand upright on the bottom tier correct? So you will not need to insert toothpicks or lollipop sticks on the bottom of the rainbow. You only need to if it'll be a topper, this will ensure that it will have support when standing upright on top a cake. (For this imagine a lollipop rainbow that you put on top of a cake).

HTH! Good luck :)

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 9:24am
post #3 of 4

Here is a good tutorial

KellyB23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyB23 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the great advice! The video tutorial was very helpful and I'm feeling pretty confident now!

:grin: 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%