Help Finding Supplies

Business By mariel9898 Updated 10 Sep 2014 , 2:35am by mariel9898

mariel9898 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariel9898 Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 3:26am
post #1 of 6

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

I'm entering some baked goods in the county fair next week and I need square cake boards. Amazon has them but the shipping is outrageous. I don't need a gross or anything, I need about 6 boards, 9x9. Does anyone know of a good place? Or does anyone know of a good substitute or DIY solution?

The rules state (yes, all in caps):

9. ALL BAKED ITEMS MUST BE PRESENTED ON ALUMINUM FOIL COVERED CARD BOARD. NO PAPER PLATES. BE SURE THE CARDBOARD IS
STURDY AND THE CORRECT SIZE FOR THE PRODUCT, NOT OVERSIZED. SQUARE PRODUCTSSHOULD BE ON A SQUARE BOARD, ROUND PRODUCTS SHOULD BE ON A ROUND BOARD.

Also, this is the first time I've ever entered such a contest so if anyone has any advice or tips that would be greatly appreciated.:)

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 6

sure, for diy use foam core board you can get from walmart or just use any cardboard wipe it down and cover it with press & seal or waxed paper before you do the aluminum foil --

and i'll just say best to you-- hope you learn a lot and win!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 6

If you buy your foam board at Michaels, Jo\OANNS or AC Moore they will cut it in the framing department and I have never paid anything for their service.  Good luck on your entries!  ;-D

mariel9898 Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 1:00am
post #4 of 6

Thank you! I have all three of those stores near me so that may work.

However, one thing - this is the first time I've entered such a contest and I keep hearing that one of the most important thing is to follow the rules to a T. The rules state "cardboard" so I'm wondering if foam board would be OK.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 6

I just reread the rules and since it does say cardboard then I would use them and again they can be purchased in any one of the stores that were mentioned. If your cake fells heavy then double or triple stack the cake boards and then cover in the foil.  If you need square ones then purchase larger circles and cut the edges off to make them square.  Good luck!

mariel9898 Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 2:35am
post #6 of 6

UPDATE

Ended up finding the rectangular boards at Micheal's and cut them to size.

I entered 9 items (12 was biting off more than I could chew!:-o)

I won 1 first place (currant cream scones), 1 honorable mention (pecan pie, the filling spilled onto the crust, almost didn't enter it because of that), and four second places (fudge, lemon bars, lemon Bundt cake, pound cake). My sister pointed out there was no first place awarded for Bundt cake or bars so didn't that mean I won 1st place? Not how it works, but I'll take it.

:-D:USA:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%