Flattered And Insulted All At Once Lol

Lounge By bubs1stbirthday Updated 6 Aug 2014 , 1:23pm by drea88

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 3:11am
post #1 of 5

Today I received a facebook message from someone I would consider to be a fairly good friend (although we don't see much of each other now that we have children ) it read as follows

"Hi there! It's Grace's 3rd birthday on the 14th august and I see you make some darn nice cakes! Would you be interested in making one for Gracie And if so the price?"

Of course I was a little flattered but responded saying that I although I feel bad saying no that I am only making them for family as it is all trial and error and if I wreck a family members cake it doesn't matter but I don't want to do that to someone else.

After a few more back and forth Msgs with her saying that she wouldn't mind if I wrecked her cake lol and me saying thanks but no, that if I wrecked her cake she might never speak to me again, she sent me this message

"Lol you know I wouldn't do that! That's ok, I'll just make something myself lol! Last year I paid $120 for a cake, it was good but geez they are expensive, something worth you pursuing anyway!"

Soooo it becomes clear that she is simply looking for a bargain and makes me wonder if she is just saying she likes my cake so that I will make her that bargain cake. What a way to go from high to low lol.

Anyway here is the cake that she paid $120 for last year - at a minimum wage of round $20ph in Australia plus costs I am thinking ...... Hmmm there is no way in hell that I would be selling that cake any cheaper anyway - assuming that the toppers (which are also by the way no doubt copy righted) were also handmade by the baker.

4 replies
KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 5:52am
post #2 of 5

LOL...that is funny. I don't think she was putting you on about liking your cakes -- I'm sure she wouldn't have even asked if she didn't think they were great. But I like the way she told you that you should look into pursuing the cake business (obviously because she recognized your talent), but clearly did not want to pay you what she pain for her previous cake (by commenting on the amount she paid previously). Translation: I think you're good enough to charge other people that price, but you'll give me a deal, right buddy? 

Funny story! 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 5

"flattered and insulted all at once" sounds like a reasonable understanding of her intent.

You may be complimented by the fact that she thought your cakes were as good as the business professional.  Ignore the insult as this kind of confirms why many decorators are not in business, less stress.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Ignore the insult as this kind of confirms why many decorators are not in business, less stress.

So true - the reason that I will not be in any way shape or form going into the professional caking at home business is the fact that if my Bub is sick or having a grumpy day I don't have to deal with that and someone's important order (Although I have never missed working as badly as I do now haha, who woulda thought )

To end the conversation I told her to give me a yell if she needed any help;/advice etc when she made the cake, her response was that she wouldn't be able to make anything fancy so she wouldn't need help to do it. Lol never have I bit my tongue so much to stop the response of 'Well maybe that's why you had to pay the baker $120.00 last year to make the cake for you' haha - I think that may well have resulted in a unfriending.

I used to work with this lady many many years ago which is how we met and on Sundays we used to get paid $36 an hour to work at a boarding kennel ($18 for normal hours almost 10 years ago) yet she wants a display piece for peanuts. Grr.

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 5

AI've starting getting the same requests from "friends." My response is always, "I can't legally sell you a cake. " If it's someone who is truly a friend, I'll offer to make one for free, or swap babysitting for a cake. The last person I said no to was really pushy, though. The truth is, she wanted a beautiful cake on the cheap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%