Using Real Lace On Bc

Decorating By cake4court Updated 24 Aug 2014 , 2:03am by cake4court

cake4court Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4court Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 2:57am
post #1 of 16

Hello everyone, this is my first post! I am doing my first wedding cake in November and the bride wants lace around each tier. I am leaning towards real lace rather than fondant or sugarveil ect. just wondering if anyone has a preference for real lace on bc cakes. Is there a certain brand/stiffness/quality that will work best? any help is appreciated!

thanks!

15 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 3:53am
post #2 of 16

I have used white lace on a light blue buttercream cake. I wanted to make sure the icing color didn't bleed onto the lace so I wrapped the cake in acetate first then put the ribbon over that. If the icing and lace are closer in color, I don't think I would have used the acetate strip. This was just a spool of lace purchased from the hobby store - nothing special about it - and I secured with sterilized pins in the back. 

Rustic iced vanilla almond cake with buttercream and strawberry cupcakes with whipped white chocolate ganache and fondant roses.

cake4court Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks for the tip! the frosting will be white and the lace light pink so bleeding shouldn't be a problem but I will keep that in mind!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 16
Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by melmar02 

I have used white lace on a light blue buttercream cake. I wanted to make sure the icing color didn't bleed onto the lace so I wrapped the cake in acetate first then put the ribbon over that. If the icing and lace are closer in color, I don't think I would have used the acetate strip. This was just a spool of lace purchased from the hobby store - nothing special about it - and I secured with sterilized pins in the back. 

Rustic iced vanilla almond cake with buttercream and strawberry cupcakes with whipped white chocolate ganache and fondant roses.

YOU PUT PINS IN CAKE????

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie93095 

YOU PUT PINS IN CAKE????

Yes. I sterilize pins the same way the medical field advises you to - rubbing alcohol and fire - and then I rewash and sterilize with the same sanitizer I use on everything I wash. Also, these aren't straight pins. I use a corsage type pin with a huge pearl on the end and the client is made very aware of their location - you can't get the ribbon off without removing them.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 16

AOh no no no, no pins in a cake! If you have to put real lace, for whatever reason you aren't able to make edible lace, then glue it down with sugar glue or more buttercream. You can't trust people to remove them. What happens if someone bites down on one and starts bleeding? It's ultimately your fault, no matter what you advised them to do.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 7:42am
post #8 of 16

AThey couldnt cut the cake with the real lace still on it. And to take the lace off, they'd have to remove the pins.

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 16

I have used the big corsage pins to secure ribbons. I have also used HUGE pearl earrings. I found some on sale one time, almost the size of a marble, not quite as big, but they worked nicely.  I make sure to tell them, directly the person serving the cake when possible, that they are there and need to be removed. I also give a printed sheet with directions on serving the cake (cutting guide) and include any specific things like that on there.  I don't use pins often, but I have done it.

But with a thin lace, I would think some sugar glue would work.

cake4court Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 16

what exactly is the sugar glue you are referring to? Is it something I can make? :) thanks

kazita Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 16

AYes you can make it....take a small amount of gumpaste and warm water and stir it up until gumpaste is dissolved, you can microwave it for a few seconds at a time to make it dissolve faster...

cake4court Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 12:33am
post #12 of 16

thanks kazita!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 3:29am
post #13 of 16

Yes, try that sugar glue out, and please try to wipe from your memory that anyone suggested that you stick dangerous metal objects in to your cake. 

kazita Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 3:31am
post #14 of 16

AWelcome and Happy Baking! !

SystemMod2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod2 Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 12:20am
post #15 of 16

Easier way to make sugar glue is to mix 1/2 tsp tylose (CMC) into 4 ounces or so of cooled boiled water. Leave to dissolve for a few hours and it will be perfectly clear, gluey glue.

cake4court Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 2:03am
post #16 of 16

thanks everyone, I will try the sugar glue and have double sided tape on hand just in case!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%