Umm.... Whoops!

Decorating By SimplyCakesNMore Updated 30 Jun 2014 , 3:44am by SimplyCakesNMore

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 7

Here's a good laugh for everyone today...  I got my days completely mixed up and have nearly completed decorating a cake that is not due until tomorrow evening.  It's a 2-tier butter cake with chocolate buttercream and is covered in marshmallow fondant.  I'm a little concerned because it has black fondant on it and I don't want the colors to fade.  Would it be ok to put in the fridge until tomorrow when I'm ready to finish it (All I lack is attaching a couple bows and putting the topper on.)?  I can't believe I did this.  I stayed up all night working on it for no reason, lol.  Thanks in advance!

6 replies
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 7

Just to make you laugh harder-- The only reason I noticed my error is because my 6 month old is in his jumperoo watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I heard a commercial for Sophia the First on Disney Channel saying that they were going to play a new one. And I thought to myself, "Odd. They only do that on Fridays. Oh, crap..." I looked at my phone and saw the date and... Face, meet Palm. :roll:

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 7

ALol! It should be fine. The consensus seems to be if you put the cake in a box first and then put it in the fridge it should be ok. That will keep condensation from forming on the cakes surface.

If you can't box it then just be sure to take it out before delivery and let it come to room temp without touching it and it will be fine

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 7

A day early is certainly better than a day late. :)

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7

AOmg!! This just happened to me! I finished a cake a day early and it was covered in black fondant! And it had cream cheese frosting so yes, it had to be kept in the fridge for an extra day. I placed it in a cake box and wrapped in cling wrap. I heard that the cake should come to room temp inside the box, but i was an idiot and took it out the box. Hello condensation!!! My fan was blowing directly on the cake and i was using the hair dryer (in cool setting) to help dry the fondant! It eventually dried, thank heavens! But i was embarrassed because my client knew that i made a booboo and made her cake early. *sigh

Ps ohhh! You have an infant! Me too, 5 month old baby girl!! Mommy brains! Brain fart

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 7

I did one a week early once, if that makes you feel better.:roll:

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 3:44am
post #7 of 7

Thank you, ladies.  I totally felt like such a dork, lol.  I wound up keeping it in the fridge for a few hours, but pulled it out and boxed it up and left it on the dining room table.  It turned out just fine!  I used my airbrush machine to spray it with clear vanilla like I usually do and it remoistened the fondant and the client never knew it was finished a day early!  And I got to spend the day with my baby boy.  Perfect ending.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%