How Do I Transfer A Tier Without Ruining The Bottom Edge Of Fondant?

Decorating By tsal Updated 27 Jun 2014 , 5:27pm by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I never used to cover my cake boards, but I have decided to take my hobby to the next level and hopefully make my cakes look better.

I covered my board a couple of days in advance so it was well and set.  Then I placed my 6" cake on a 6" cake circle that was trimmed a little (so it was a touch smaller than 6") so that it wouldn't show at all, and covered it in fondant (all good up until then).

I then perfected the bottom edge of the tier but trimming the fondant (well, I did the best I could, to be honest - it took time), but I could not pick up the cake without affecting the fondant, and I ended up having to pipe a border to hide the imperfections.

What did I do wrong?

5 replies
RedneckRuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckRuffle Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 6

AWhat was the cake board made of?

tsal Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 6

It was a standard foil-wrapped board.  Cardboard I think.

RedneckRuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckRuffle Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 6

AIf you're putting a fondant cake onto a fondant-covered board without a bottom boarder, I would use at least a 3/4" foam board just for a single tier. Even double-corrugated cardboard will flex a little with the weight of that much fondant on top of it.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 6

I rarely decorate boards before placing the cake on, but when I do, this is how I do it.

Pick up the 6" tier with a cake lifter (like the Wilton one) or a large angled spatula. Insert whatever tool you are using at the back of the cake. Get your cake balanced on your chosen tool, with your other hand near the front or side or whatever just in case. Move your cake near your board, which you should have as close as possible to you (no crossing the room with a cake on a spatula!!), and with the back edge of the board towards you. Line up the back of your cake with the back of the board in front of you. Move the cake in the air towards the centre of the board, and gently lower the front edge of the cake into place. You can still manipulate it a little using the spatula to get it in just the right spot. Set the cake down and slide the spatula out gently.

You could also mark a 6" round on the board before transferring your cake if you are not too good at eyeballing measurements.

Alternatively, you can glue the cake down on the board, and decorate around the cake using a rolled up strip of fondant. Saves having to remember to do the board beforehand, uses less fondant, your cake is always centred, and the very bottom few mm of your cake will be covered by the thickness (or thinness) of your fondant strip. Final border details/ribbon would be added at this point. This is how I do 95% of my cakes. 

tsal Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, Dayti.  I am going to print up your post and try it with my next cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%