Cookies For A Funeral

Baking By deb4cakes2 Updated 7 Jul 2014 , 3:57pm by maisie73

deb4cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb4cakes2 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 3:11am
post #1 of 20

My father has end stage cancer and the doctor has said he has about 2 weeks left.  I would like to make some cookies for the funeral and put a cross and his initials on them.  Has anyone any suggestions? Does anyone think this is strange?  

19 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 3:23am
post #2 of 20

ADoesnt sound strange to me at all. He's your dad, if you want to do that then I think you definitely should. Remember him in your own way :). Your family is in my prayers

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 20

I'm so sorry, Hon. I agree with morganchampagne. Cookies sound like a wonderful way to show how much you love your Dad.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 20

My sympathies to you and your family and hope your Dad is not in much pain.

I think it's a wonderful idea too.  I made cookies when my own Dad passed away, I just made his favorite for us all to enjoy.  You should do what feels right to you.

Best,

T

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 20

So sorry to hear.  You should do what brings you comfort and brings your family comfort. If the cookies are a way for you to express your love and dedication to your Dad, then that is what you should do.  

barrycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barrycake Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 20

It's not strange at all my mother had been sick for months and loved my cakes and asked me to make a cake for her funeral. You do things like that because you love your family and that's all that matters.

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 20

ANo, absolutely not strange. My dad loved my Victoria sponge, when he died I made three of them for his funeral at my mams request. You and your family are in my prayers.

deb4cakes2 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 20

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers.  I will start on the cookies on the weekend and hopefully will have time to do them all before the funeral.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 20

Totally agree with everyone else--make and share those cookies!  When I was new at hobby baking (about 4 years ago), I offered to make a cake in honor of a dear man,  Jack.  It was served at the reception after the funeral and every time I received a compliment it was like I was receiving the compliments from Jack.  A funeral and reception afterwards can be a celebration of a life that was lived well.

My condolences and hopes for strength for all of you in the next few weeks. 

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 20

I make a lot of cookies for funerals.  I often make a square sugar cookie with a muted pastel glaze and a little mint in the shape of a dove on top.  I'll try to post a photo from my phone.  They are a very popular item for me.

Liz

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnthecaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnthecaker Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 2:42am
post #12 of 20

AWhat a lovely and loving gesture. This thread has bought tears to my eyes. So true.it's all about what brings comfort to the family. You are in my prayers. Best regards

deb4cakes2 Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 2:52am
post #13 of 20

Thank you for your great idea liz at sugar.  I'm still not sure what I am going to do yet.  I thought something like this picture, but it looks a bit complicated and I might not have time to do these individually.  I was thinking a stencil or mould might be easier.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 4:49am
post #14 of 20

Those look like royal icing transfers of celtic crosses..easy but you are right it is a bit time consuming. I would use a stencil too 

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 8:45am
post #15 of 20

AI just wanted to send my love and wish you all the strength in the world. I'm so sorry xxx

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 11:11am
post #16 of 20

Our prayers are with you

deb4cakes2 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 2:38am
post #17 of 20

Thank you everyone, my Dad passed away last Tuesday and the Funeral is tomorrow and I am busy making more than a hundred biscuits (cookies to you).  I decided to go with pale blue icing decorated with gold cross (mould) in the middle a white dove (mould) in the corner and his initials on the bottom.  Also I am making a cross with pale blue fondant with a cutout dove and his initials stencils on the bottom and top.  I have to get a move on today, I suppose I have finished 70, but we are expecting about 150 as my Dad had his own business (of which I have worked in for about 40 years) and he was also in quite a few community groups.  We nursed my Dad in the last few weeks of his life at home and my siblings (4) and I  worked out a roster to help Mum with him.  I think had he known what we were going to go through he would have gone to a Hospice.  I will post pictures of the cookies when I have time (have to get my husband to take the photo).

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 2:42am
post #18 of 20

You're in our thoughts and prayers. Take care...

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 12:22pm
post #19 of 20

ASo sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers. Theresa

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 3:57pm
post #20 of 20

AAw, my condolences to you and your family. Take care, Maisie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%