Royal Gone Wrong?

Baking By sweettia Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 1:07am by sweettia

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 7:09am
post #1 of 16

ASo I've done fondant and even rolled buttercream cookies. I've made royal to do stringwork on a cake so finally decided to give it a og at flooding some sugar cookies just for fun. I used Antonia 74 recipe but my icing got hard. When I let it dry and took a bite the next day I didn't understand the hype other than appearance. But I feel like it must've been something I did wrong! Any tips or advice? Or is it supposed to be hard (and I mean more than just a firm that won't get damged)? I've never actually eaten a flooded cookie before I have to admit, so I may have just amped myself up for a completely opposite situation I hope this makes sense....

15 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 7:57am
post #2 of 16

They look nice but yeah most RI recipes set up pretty hard.

*edited to add link

I just looked at step by step technique and she stated that they are nice and hard after 18 hours. hth

http://cakecentral.com/a/how-to-bake-decorate-cookies

sweettia Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 8:35am
post #3 of 16

AI'll try and follow the steps and see if I get any better. Otherwise I think I'll skip the flooded sugar cookies lol Thanks!

enga Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 8:38am
post #4 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweettia 

I'll try and follow the steps and see if I get any better. Otherwise I think I'll skip the flooded sugar cookies lol
Thanks!

IKR I almost chipped a tooth when I first ate one. I started using fondant for friends that don't like it.

sweettia Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 8:40am
post #5 of 16

AI tried a rolled buttercream last time following a recipe from bunny woman and I'm in love with it right now. I think I like adding in the different flavorings mostly lol

enga Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 9:17am
post #6 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweettia 

I tried a rolled buttercream last time following a recipe from bunny woman and I'm in love with it right now. I think I like adding in the different flavorings mostly lol 

Really, I have that recipe I think I got it from here. I'll have to try it out on my next batch. ;-D

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 16

I do a lot of cookies, and use a "modified" Royal Icing.  I don't have my recipe here right now, but you add cream of tartar and light corn syrup to the mix.  The surface dried nice and firm, and stackable, while the icing underneath is still softer, so no chipped teeth!!

enga Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcubed83 

I do a lot of cookies, and use a "modified" Royal Icing.  I don't have my recipe here right now, but you add cream of tartar and light corn syrup to the mix.  The surface dried nice and firm, and stackable, while the icing underneath is still softer, so no chipped teeth!!

haaa haaa haaa, I use a recipe that calls for corn syrup too, love it because it gives a slight sheen to the finished product.

sweettia Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 16

A

Original message sent by lcubed83

If you can point me in the direction of a recipe like that I'd be very grateful! Cause they really are pretty and I'd love to have some flooded cookies at my daughters birthday party if I can get it right

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 16

Almost all of the recipes that I have tried dry rock solid. They look pretty, but that's about it lol the recipes I've found call for 5 or 6 tbsp. of meringue powder, I lower that to 2. Sets beautifully, dries the same, but when you bite into it, the inside is still soft.

enga Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 16

I have this recipe that I keep saying I'm going to try. It's suppose to not dry as hard as royal icing.

http://cakecentral.com/a/toba-garretts-glace-icing

sweettia Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 16

A

Original message sent by ypierce82

Almost all of the recipes that I have tried dry rock solid. They look pretty, but that's about it lol the recipes I've found call for 5 or 6 tbsp. of meringue powder, I lower that to 2. Sets beautifully, dries the same, but when you bite into it, the inside is still soft.

So you leave the rest of huge recipe the same? I'll try that and see how it comes out. Thanks!

sweettia Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 16

A

Original message sent by enga

I have this recipe that I keep saying I'm going to try. It's suppose to not dry as hard as royal icing.

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/a/toba-garretts-glace-icing]http://cakecentral.com/a/toba-garretts-glace-icing[/URL]

Him I wonder if it works just like royal...I'll try that one too! I'll have a full weekend of goodies. The family will be happy lol

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 16

Glaze icing is quite tasty, but you cannot do all of the fine details with it that you can with Royal.

Here is a pretty close version of what I use:  http://snargblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/tutorial-royal-icing.html

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 7:35pm
post #15 of 16

Sorry, I also take the amount of water down to 1/3 c. I'm spacey today lol but definitely try it. For me it has been A LOT of trial and error...mostly error until I made those 2 changes.

sweettia Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 1:07am
post #16 of 16

AThanks for the input everybody. I'll let you know how it goes after all my testing and playing around is done

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%