Sea Shell Cake Topper Tutorial

Decorating By slun4ogledka Updated 16 Jun 2014 , 10:07pm by anavillatoro1

slun4ogledka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slun4ogledka Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 14

Can anyone please  help me with ideas how to make an  open seashell topper( free hand)  It is for a baby shower cake and there is a baby figurine that goes in it , so it needs to be quite big.  . I have actually  made a couple of them before , but they just look OK . I need this one to look awesome :) Thank you in advance !

13 replies
pookashnoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookashnoo Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 14

Do you mean like the oyster shell that is open, and instead of a pearl, you'll put the baby? Sorry I don't know how to post pictures to show which I mean..

I'd make a template for one half to the size you need for the baby to fit inside, then cut them out with gumpaste, and then use a Dresden tool to sort of frill the edges so you get that crinkled look and thin out the edges a bit, but try keep the middle thicker so it's stronger and then make a former for them to dry on, maybe with kitchen towel in a bowl, or foil over the top of  a bowl in the same shape as the shell. Let them dry and then dust them and once they are steamed then attach the 2 halves together with royal icing and then pop the little figuring inside.

ETA, not an oyster shell! lol

slun4ogledka Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 14

IDK , maybe it is a clam shell :)) Anyway - you know what I mean . Definitely will make a template  and will go from there.  I am wondering how can I attach both pieces and will the vertical one stay on  with royal icing .Or maybe I will do a more closed one and the top piece will be touching the baby at some point .so it will have some  type of support . Thanks for the taking the time to answer :)) 

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookashnoo Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:12am
post #5 of 14

Yes, that is the type I meant! The one I was looking at were just slightly more rounded than this one and imagining a sort of half opening shell with the baby inside.

Yeah I think if the shells were light enough the royal icing would hold it at the join, but you'd have to create some sort of support to keep it in place while the icing dries. But depending on how big you need it to be, you should also give some thought on how it will stand on the top of the cake, because the bottom half will be a little rounded (unless you let it dry only partially rounded so there is a part of the bottom that is flat)

Are you wanting to make a white one like the picture you posted?

slun4ogledka Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 14

Thank u Shanter !

I don't know what color yet . The mother-to-be fiends wanted it in blue But I have the freedom to do whatever I want . I will probably make it in light blue, white and some ivory , marbled .

pookashnoo Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 14

well I'm sure it's going to look awesome, please come back and show us a picture when you are done :)

slun4ogledka Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 14

Here it is the finished cake , I am not very happy with the shell . Oh , well , practice makes perfect . Thanks for your help :) 

johnthecaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnthecaker Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 14

ACongratulations! It's beautiful! Great job!

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 14

ACongrats is beautiful, did you use electrec blue?

slun4ogledka Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:57pm
post #11 of 14

No , I actually used Wilton's Sky Blue :)

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 14

I myself think the cake is gorgeous, topper included :) I think its one to be proud of

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 14

Great cake!  I think your details came out wonderfully!  Love the anchor on the baby!

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 10:07pm
post #14 of 14

AThanks, the baby is cute to, I made a blue diaper baby boy I wasn't happy with it, your idea of white and blue borders it's good ;-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%