How Do I Get A Smoother Buttercream?

Decorating By cloviscupcakes Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 3:25pm by -K8memphis

cloviscupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloviscupcakes Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 4:57am
post #1 of 5

AI use the Wilton Buttercream recipe but my results are never creamy smooth. I end up with a frosting that has tiny air bubbles and is almost granular in texture. How do I get a real creamy smooth texture?

4 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 5

ATry using Sharon's Sugar Shack icing. It is the best. I order my Sweetex from GFS.

http://cakecentral.com/a/sugarshacks-buttercream-icing

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 5

AI've switched to a meringue butter cream which to me is easier to smooth. But a trick I to do was to turn my mixer on "stir" with the paddle attachment and that really helped with the air.

If you're going to use shortening hi ratio helps with smoothing as well.

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 
But a trick I to do was to turn my mixer on "stir" with the paddle attachment and that really helped with the air.

Exactly. You don't want to whip it, because that will incorporate air and result in lots of ugly bubbles. I always make buttercream with my mixer on the stir setting. If I want to increase the speed for some reason, I never go past 2. That should definitely help with the air bubbles.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 5

and if you do get bubbles--stir your icing thoroughly before applying it--if you've made googobs just stir it as you go--that helps--

are you sifting your powdered sugar? i hate to sift powdered sugar but i hate it worse when i don't sift it :-D danged if you do & danged if you don't--

sometimes using hot water helps to smooth american buttercream (powd sugar + fat + liquid)

also the graininess can be caused by the type of powdered sugar you're using--i've certainly made my fair share of grainy abc--so i usually use cooked icings instead 

best to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%