Pastry Pride And Cottage Food Law.

Business By Cascades Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 7:32pm by mrsgreshcakes

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 7:10am
post #1 of 8

Can anybody tell me if we are allowed to use the product Pastry Pride under California's Cottage food law?

7 replies
Silviascakeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silviascakeart Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 8

AHi You are posting a great question. You are wondering because that law says something about useing cream fillings, right? I wanted to know the same thing. I will be checking back to see if any one knows. Thanks for asking.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 8

You are better off asking your department of health, make sure you have a list of the ingredients in it when you call. If it's considered a potentially hazardous food, then I would guess you wouldn't be able to use it.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 8

To my understanding, nothing that has to be refrigerated can be used.  At least, that is what my HI told me as I went through the process.  And not every county is approving the same things, sometimes not even within the same county.  I was approved for ganache but my county will not approve royal icing, while others have.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 8

AOther than water, there aren't any ingredients in it that you would sit and eat or would spoil, so it's a safe bet that it's ok. Yikes...the ingredients are listed here. Good....eats? [URL=][/URL]

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 8

Interesting list of ingredients.  If the product requires refrigeration (no matter what the ingredients) it is unlikely to be approved.  Number 1 on the Cottage food list is this: Cottage food operations are allowed to produce certain non-potentially hazardous foods. These are foods that do not support the rapid growth of bacteria that would make people sick when held outside of refrigeration temperatures. the site is here:


Take a look at the Cottage Food Law - supporters of AB 1616, the California Homemade Food Act group on FB for lots of information.  I know that here in my county, we cannot get Royal Icing approved, even when made with shelf stable egg whites, because of the small possibility of an issue (even though LA county and others have approved it for their folks).  I would check with your health inspector for your area.  Sometimes what is approved can vary even from inspector to inspector.

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 3:48am
post #7 of 8

I guess I will have to ask the health dept.  Just so hard to get a straight answer.  I know when I had my bakery the health inspector came in and my case that was holding the cakes with the Pastry Pride Frosting was temping out a little high.The health inspector said If I didn't have cakes frosted with Pastry Pride I'd have to toss everything, but since it was Pastry Pride I was ok.  I also worked for a bakery that used nothing but Pastry Pride and they were stored overnight in an air conditioned room and was ok with health dept.  I use Pastry pride with my fruit sleeve fillings as a mock mousse and my clients love it.

mrsgreshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsgreshcakes Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 8

At the time of my filing my paperwork, Santa Clara County did not approve the use of Pastry Pride, Bettercreme or Dawn whipped topping products.  I did submit from one of these manufacturers an MSDS that showed the product could be left out covered at room temperature for a couple of days (not at my desk right now to verify which one), and the County still did not approve it.


I've head about other counties not having an issue, so its best to check with your County specifically, since they are issuing your permit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%