Cake Pops Helps Please!!

Decorating By glittersdoll Updated 29 May 2014 , 12:48pm by Mindy B

glittersdoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glittersdoll Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to make cake pops for the first time for a party event. I wanted to know what kind of chocolate is the best to cover the cake pops? I have heard a lot of people use "candy melts" in all sort of colors. Can you use any chocolate or does it have to be candy melt? I will also decorate them after i dip them with glitter

Also I plan to make them a day before. So do I refrigerate them over night or do I freeze them the day before? Any help would be appreciated. I also forgot to ask, what sticks work best with normal size cake pops, 4'' ones or 6''?


Thank you!!

3 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 28 May 2014 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 4

Candy Melts is technically not chocolate but you can still use it for cake pops. Candy Melts or real chocolate will depend on your budget, taste. Only you can answer that. Glitter is not food.

glittersdoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glittersdoll Posted 28 May 2014 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 4

What is the cake melts taste like? Also, I will be using edible glitter that is, obviously.I wonder what will hold better on cake pops? candy melts or my own melted chocolate

Mindy B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy B Posted 29 May 2014 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 4

*The taste will vary depending on the brand of candy melts (or candy coating). If using really chocolate, it will need to be tempered to work with it.

*As for refrigeration - you would only want to refrigerate or freeze the cake pop mixture until firm. If the mixture is frozen it will end up cracking the chocolate after it is dipped. After the cake pops are assembled and dipped they should be kept at room temperature. Refrigeration at this point will cause condensation to form on the chocolate causing the surface to become "tacky" and lose it's shine. 

*Be prepared, most edible glitter will melt right into the chocolate. Anything that is labeled "disco dust" or pixie dust" are typically "non-toxic" but NOT edible

Quote by @%username% on %date%