bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 26 May 2014 , 2:54am
post #1 of 9

Is an ombre cake just large rosettes?

8 replies
SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 26 May 2014 , 3:50am
post #2 of 9

Ombre refers to the color.  The Ombre cakes are the ones that start as a darker or brighter color at the bottom and as it goes up the color fades to a light shade.  I would post one but, I have never done one and I don't think I should post other peoples pictures.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 26 May 2014 , 3:51am
post #3 of 9

AI think ombre refers to the graduating color shades

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 26 May 2014 , 4:26am
post #4 of 9

Yep, ombre is in reference to the colour change. It's most often done with roses or ruffles, but I've seen some incredible cakes done with smooth buttercream in the graduating ombre layers. My profile pic is based on an ombre design but I went for more a more defined colour difference rather than a subtle graduation. 

bakeforfun21 Posted 26 May 2014 , 11:50am
post #5 of 9

A[@]Nadiaa[/@] can I use Swiss meringue buttercream for this design

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 26 May 2014 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 9

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3241698/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Here's my non-rosette ombre cake in SMBC. Oh, actually there are rosettes but not part of the ombre :-D

bakeforfun21 Posted 26 May 2014 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 9

AOh that is gorgeous. In going to attempt one today. And it's my first time doing the smbc.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 26 May 2014 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 9

ASMBC is really nice for this application. It works best to get the color rings on the cake, us the bench scraper to carefully smooth the side and then use a spatula to gently drag the colors upward. If you want to keep the colors distinct, clean the spatula after every drag, but if you want a more artistic mixed color look, don't. Both are beautiful. Post your cake when you're done! Good luck :)

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 27 May 2014 , 2:11am
post #9 of 9

AAbsolutely. I love using SMBC. Hope it went well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%