Dad Ordered The Cake & Ex Wife Unhappy

Decorating By cake0301 Updated 8 Jun 2014 , 7:18am by petitecat

cake0301 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake0301 Posted 20 May 2014 , 12:35am
post #1 of 15

AI was asked to make 150 cupcakes ($20 a dozen) & a 13x9 in cake (25) for a grad party. Now the dad who I know, is the one that contacted me, sat down & discussed the details, & paid me. There was one mistake on my part I found out when I delivered the cake I miss spelled the name. They were very polite about it to me & I removed the name. Later that night I got a long message on my business page from one of there sons saying that they are very disappointed in the cake & it was what "they" ordered & I need to refund them. I thought it was a joke because besides the name being spelled wrong it is what the dad ordered. The next day I received a message from the ex wife saying we need to talk about the cake. I messaged the dad & asked him what was going on. He said his ex was upset about the name. I apologized & I told him I would give him a free dozen cupcakes & he said ok & he knows how hard I worked on the order & don't let them get to me. Now I've found out that she's trashing me on Facebook & I even got a message from a friend telling me it was terrible & I need to refund "them". I had enough & asked her if it tasted bad, she said she didn't know. I explained the dad is the one that ordered the cake & is my customer & we have talked about it. Also besides the name being spelled wrong that is the cake he wanted. He wanted a basic cake & I even showed him a similiar cake. I finally told this person that if the mom wanted a fancy cake she should have ordered it. I just don't know what to do?[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3238451/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

14 replies
epiquerianmb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
epiquerianmb Posted 30 May 2014 , 2:31am
post #2 of 15

AIf the son and ex-wife didn't pay for the same, then they shouldn't have anything to say. I wonder if the father was displeased, but too afraid to admit it. After all, they got your number from him...I'm assuming.I would offer a credit or something to go toward his next purchase. How did they spell the graduates name?

cake0301 Posted 30 May 2014 , 2:37am
post #3 of 15

AThe dad wasn't unhappy. I spelled it drew when it was suppose to be sure. I told the dad I would give him s free dozen cupcakes for the name being spelled wrong & he was fine with that. He said his ex wife isn't nice. He's been very nice & understanding about the whole thing. He even said don't let her get to me.

cake0301 Posted 30 May 2014 , 2:38am
post #4 of 15

AHe didn't give them my number they found me on face book.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 May 2014 , 2:42am
post #5 of 15
epiquerianmb Posted 30 May 2014 , 2:57am
post #6 of 15

AOK...should been "Sure"? I think that the free cupcakes is sufficient. Seems like the ex just want something to complain about.

cake0301 Posted 30 May 2014 , 2:59am
post #7 of 15

AI meant "drue"

epiquerianmb Posted 30 May 2014 , 3:05am
post #8 of 15

AGotcha... I think that you did well...there will some that will give you a hard time....hang in there..,

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 15

I had an ex-wife issue with one of my caterings.  Now this sounds stupid but when she starting complaining after the event, I had no idea it was the ex-wife.  I had dealt with the bride/groom, who were VERY sweet and very aware of a tight budget that dad was giving them and I worked with them to give them some deals.  I never met mom.  So when this ex called, I thought it was mom.

She complained because the crackers broke.  She complained because we ran out of one style of meatball.  She complained because the plates were small (it was an appetizer only event).  They ordered food for 100, had 130 show up, and I only ran out of one kind of meatball 30 minutes before clean-up.  They did the same thing to the bartender who was on the phone desperate for someone to bring him more supplies!  But irony of ironies, the FREE cake made by their aunt was planned big enough to serve 150!!!  Only the "paid for" food and drink was under ordered!!

Finally, I got an email from the step-mom who said, "I understand you've had some interesting conversations with (dad's) ex and we are SO sorry.  We know you went above and beyond for the kids and (bride) would be devastated if she knew how you were being treated.  We will always recommend you to anyone looking for a caterer."

Ex's demands for a refund stopped (refund?  SHE had never given me a check!)  I guess dad had a talk with her.

The kind that gives us ex-wives a bad name!  :duh:

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 9:35am
post #10 of 15

My Fiancé's dad has 2 ex-wives, one of whom is his mother.  She is lovely.  The second is commonly referred to as 'the Witch' and, quite simply, won't be coming to our wedding.  Problem solved :-D

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 9:39am
post #11 of 15

AHmm, interesting! I'm a 2nd wife, wonder what my step darlings refer to me as! :-D

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 9:49am
post #12 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

Hmm, interesting! I'm a 2nd wife, wonder what my step darlings refer to me as! icon_biggrin.gif

Lol, I'm sure they say nice things!  Aparently she took a disliking to me straight away  (which was odd as we got on really well at our first meeting!).  She wouldn't let her sons go to events that I was going to be at for a long time and then boycotted our engagement party, caused a scene and so his oldest half-brother didn't come to that either.  It really upset me to start with but don't care any more and thankfully she has now returned to her home town which is in another country! :D

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 10:16am
post #13 of 15

AFamilies are funny aren't they! You think yours is strange then the longer you live, the more you see, you realise that actually yours isn't quite as strange after all! :-D

cake0301 Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 5:08am
post #14 of 15

AShe ended up turning me into the better business beruea & majority of the things she said were lies & wanted me to refund her all the money (she didn't even pay or order it. I just told the BBB that she wasn't my customer, her ex husband was & that I'm not discussing it because again she wasn't my customer. I guess she was texted dad to find out if I refunded him. I finally told him I didn't want to hear about what she has to say anymore since he was happy with me giving him the free dozen cupcakes & he isn't wanting a refund. Makes me feel better that someone else has been in a similar situation. She did the same thing 1st it was the name, then the color of the cake was wrong, now she's complaining about the cupcakes. This was a month ago she needs to move on.

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 7:18am
post #15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cake0301 

She ended up turning me into the better business beruea & majority of the things she said were lies & wanted me to refund her all the money (she didn't even pay or order it. I just told the BBB that she wasn't my customer, her ex husband was & that I'm not discussing it because again she wasn't my customer. I guess she was texted dad to find out if I refunded him. I finally told him I didn't want to hear about what she has to say anymore since he was happy with me giving him the free dozen cupcakes & he isn't wanting a refund.
Makes me feel better that someone else has been in a similar situation. She did the same thing 1st it was the name, then the color of the cake was wrong, now she's complaining about the cupcakes. This was a month ago she needs to move on.

I can't believe the nerve of some people- they feel entitled to control every aspect of their lives AND other people's!!

Ignore her from now on. Don't waste any more time on her. What a nightmare!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%