Petit Fours ???

Decorating By ehhicks Updated 28 May 2014 , 7:05pm by ehhicks

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 19 May 2014 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hi. I have been tasked with the cake for my grandparents 70th wedding anniversary party. My family said to plan on 250 ppl. I am doing a small cake as a center piece, but then they asked about cake squares to have to serve. I thought that since they want people to be able to come up and grab the food rather than someone having to stand and cut the cake that cake squares from a sheet cake would not look as nice if its already been sliced up. So I thought of doing the petit fours. Can anyone give me some tips as far as cake and icing that works best? Thanks so much!!!!!

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 19 May 2014 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

Petit-fours are a PITA. I would suggest just doing a cupcake.  Unless you are very experienced doing petit-fours, it will probably not go well.  The process if fraught with issues that will make a less-than-attractive finished product.

Cupcakes will look nice, are doable in a reasonable amount of time, and can be all uniformly decorated in a short period of time.

I would spend the extra time and money on presentation, ie cupcake stands, fancy wraps, and maybe personalized accents for the cupcakes.

I did a wedding for 300.  We made vanilla coins using white chocolate and a a chablon.  We attached round edible images to the coins with glucose.

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 19 May 2014 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 6

I agree petit fours are a PITA and by the time you cover the entire little cake, they have so much icing on them and are soso sweet. I don't even like them. I'd much rather do a real cake, cupcakes, or anything else other than petit fours. Just try them once and I think you will agree.

What I have done for sweet tables is to make a sheet pan of either cake or brownies, frost them smooth across the top, cut them into rectangles about 1" x 3", place each one into an individual cupcake liner and then pipe a small rose or other flower and leaf on top of each. They look very professional and people can just grab one or two.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 May 2014 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly 

Petit-fours are a PITA. I would suggest just doing a cupcake.

Wow! Married seventy years, how incredible!! But I agree with the PITA sentiment. You may love your grandparents, but I guarantee you'll learn to hate petit fours. Cupcakes are a a good alternative if you want single serve items. You could also make cake or brownies, then cut into triangles (looks fancier than squares) and put each triangle into a paper cup. It doesn't take nearly as long as icing each damn petit fours.

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 28 May 2014 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the responses - but I like the idea of only frosting the top and then cutting into squares. I think that may be a good idea and allow for a nice looking grab and go set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%