How To Store: Ganache-Filled Cake With Fondant

Decorating By divadane Updated 18 May 2014 , 10:33pm by divadane

divadane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divadane Posted 16 May 2014 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 13

AMy cake is filled w ganache, crumb coated w bc, and the decorations are fondant. I was planning to do outside all fondant, but I'm concerned about storing it.... I don't have luck w fondant in the fridge, but I'm assuming a cake filled w ganache must be chilled...?

I really want all fondant outside... Don't want ganache.

It's for tomorrow. Was planning to finish tonight... Any suggestions?

12 replies
NewCakeArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewCakeArtist Posted 16 May 2014 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 13

I believe a ganached cake can sit out overnight, surely the sugar content in the chocolate acts as a preservative? I have in fact done this when I made an Congratulations cake for my brother when he got engaged. I made it the Thursday evening as we were all leaving the Friday (Valentines Day) to go away for the weekend where he planned to ask is girlfriend to marry hi.. It was Summer where I am and where we were going was inland, so it was very very hot! The cake made it there completely fine, but the heat did affect my fondant decorations I had on top, it got somewhat soft. The cake was cut the Friday and everyone helped themselves to it through the Saturday. It was completely fine. 

Anyway, you say you want to cover with fondant, and that's fine too. The fondant acts as an airtight container, so the ganache will be fine. And NO, of course, you would not refrigerate the fondant! It's not meant to be, it will be perfect out of the refrigerator overnight.

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 16 May 2014 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 13

Ganache doesn't need to be refrigerated at all. Neither does buttercream, unless it's swiss meringue, but even some say that they don't refrigerate that either. It will be fine for days sitting on the counter in room temperature, so you will definitely be good for one day! :)

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 17 May 2014 , 3:56am
post #4 of 13

AIt depends on your local health department as to if ganache needs refrigeration....check with them first. Most health officials will say it is ok up to 80 degrees. I don't personaly refrigerate fondant cakes but some people do. I think it makes the cake soft, tacky and it sweats. It is your choice though. I don't use anything that needs to be in the refrigerator in my fondant cakes. I would love to so I can't wait to see what others say.

divadane Posted 18 May 2014 , 12:24am
post #5 of 13

AThanks to all. I wound up putting it back in the fridge, just to be on the safe side. That, plus the humidity destroyed the cake and I didn't even wanna catch a glimpse of it on the counter. The whole cake drooped and completely lost it's shape. Very disappointing :( I have a 3 tier to do next week and I'm already freaking out about the fondant ruining it again. Will have to crank the AC!!

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 18 May 2014 , 1:49am
post #6 of 13

AOh no! So sorry to hear :-( it sounds like you didn't have a stiff enough damn..? Maybe make the damn of buttercream next time? Hope all goes well with the next one!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 18 May 2014 , 1:52am
post #7 of 13

ANo, really, ganache is fine at room temp. I've had ganache here on my benchtop for over a week, and it's fine. Don't put your cake in the fridge next time.

divadane Posted 18 May 2014 , 5:16am
post #8 of 13

AMy dam was made of ck BC- and it was firm and perfectly shaped In fridge before I covered it. Once I took it out, the crumb coat (same bc) started to sweat and it the fondant did it in. Had to go back in fridge otherwise I would have had a pancake, not a cake! :(

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 18 May 2014 , 10:16am
post #9 of 13

What ganache recipe are you using? Spreading consistency ganache wouldn't need a dam, and it would have nothing to do with a cake collapsing.

No fridge for fondant in humid weather!

kellyk1234 Posted 18 May 2014 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 13

AButtercream doesn't need refrigeration either. Unless you have a curd, mousse, or fresh fruit filling, etc. your cakes do not need to go in the refrigerator. It also dries them out.

divadane Posted 18 May 2014 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 13

AIt was a basic ganache recipe- just heavy cream and chocolate. I'm thinking the fact that I used a very light box mix (Duff's bc I wanted the tiger stripe effect) plus the humidity, etcetera, it basically was doomed. I know bc doesn't need refrigeration but I had crumb coated it days before covering it w fondant bc I always thought it kept fresher that way... All these factors combined = epic fail!!! :( lol

kellyk1234 Posted 18 May 2014 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 13

Did you crumb coat days in advance to save you time? I try to space everything out as much as I can too, so I will bake and freeze my cakes up to a week in advance. I let it cool in the pan for about 15-20 mins then I wrap in 4 layers of plastic wrap (sometimes a layer of foil on top of that if its longer then a few days), while still warm, and then stick in the freezer. It also helps make the cake more moist, because the steam gets trapped inside.

divadane Posted 18 May 2014 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 13

AKelly- yup, I do the same. Baked, wrapped, froze, crumb coated and refrigerated all in advance. It was in fridge for 2 days and then I put on fondant night before party. Oh well. I'm gonna chalk it up to mostly having a way too light cake to support the fondant.... Live and learn! Thanks everyone for your input :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%