Storing Fondant Cake Overnight?

Decorating By NewCakeArtist Updated 21 May 2014 , 4:49pm by KathleenC

NewCakeArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewCakeArtist Posted 16 May 2014 , 9:25am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I've just gotten my first enquiry for a 3-tier wedding cake. She is yet to order but I want to figure everything out in the event that she does take the cake! 

I am aware that it's not best to store fondant in the refrigerator. My concern is for dust, dirt or other kinds of creatures. The cake is for a Saturday, but to save myself a little time on the Friday, I would like to cover with fondant on the Thursday, and then simply decorate on Friday. 

So my plan of action is to crumb-coat and fondant cover on Thurs and then maybe cling wrap the tiers individually. I would then stack and decorate on Friday and then hopefully find a large cardboard box in which I can safely store the entire cake to prevent anything getting on it. Im just concerned that I may not find a big enough box... Could this plan work though? It means that the buttercream will have been out (but fondant covered) from Thurs. And is there any chance the fondant would sweat or get sticky if wrapped in cling wrap overnight?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

4 replies
johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 19 May 2014 , 1:40am
post #2 of 5

You could just wrap it loosely with wax paper, just drape it. As long it is in an air-conditioned area. It will be fine.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 19 May 2014 , 3:01am
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't bother with the wax paper.  Just put it in the box. Even if your tiers are 5 inches each, you are still only talking 15 inches tall.  There are lots of cardboard boxes out there that big or bigger.  

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 21 May 2014 , 12:42am
post #4 of 5

AI refrigerate all my fondant colored cakes. Never had a problem.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 21 May 2014 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 5

Don't cling-wrap your fondant-covered tiers.  Fondant needs air circulation to stay firm and dry.  The fondant-covered cake can be stored in the refrigerator in a box...it will be fine.  Or, if you have a cool room to store it in, that also works for a day, as long as you don't have a filling or icing that should be refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%