Cake Leveling..

Decorating By Jenna1588 Updated 14 May 2014 , 7:07pm by cakegrandma

Jenna1588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna1588 Posted 14 May 2014 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

Last 2 cakes I've made and covered in fondant have been wonky, (attached pictures) its really annoying for me, although I'm only a hobby baker, I like them to look good. 

Any ideas why this is happening? I've done quite a few cakes and they have been perfect.. Would it be a good idea to buy a leveler and sort it out once I've sandwiched the cakes together or before? My cakes seem to be level before the filling. Its frustrating! Like a muppet I've only noticed after I've covered the cakes then its too late!

Any advice would be great.. Thanks! :)

5 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 14 May 2014 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 6

level and seems level are two different things, especially when you have a simple cake, that shows every flaw.

get a small level, just like carpenters use, and put it on your cake as you are building it. don't forget that it has to be level on the sides too. then you have to pop the cake in the fridge to let it set up/settle.

leveling after building will be a huge headache. while you may be able to make small adjustments, you may end up carving your cake down to nothing. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 14 May 2014 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 6

A leveler would be a good idea. I have also heard of people that once they cut their cake they put two toothpicks on each layer that has been cut one toothpick right above the other toothpick. Then once they put icing or filling they sandwich back the layers so that the two toothpicks are right above each other.

They have mentioned that even when you cut a little off, if the two toothpicks are right above each other when your cut was a little uneven then the top and bottom if put back together like you cut them will once again fit like a puzzle and be even.  I do not know if this works as I have a leveler. I am just going by what I have read.

Good luck, I am sure you will figure this out. Hopefully others here that have more experience will have better ideas.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 6

AGet the Agbay. (Google it) you would probably be fine with the single blade jr. Model. You'll love it! And won't know how you ever caked without it.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 14 May 2014 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 6

I use a carpenter's level and a long serrated knife to level my cakes.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 14 May 2014 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 6

Unfortunately, I can not level a cake like some do. i.e. cutting the top even with the pan, turning it on a turn table, using toothpicks to match up, nothing worked for me.  I used a Wilton cake leveler and it worked decently enough but never like I wanted my cakes to be.  Like Leah_S says, get an Agbay! It is costly but, it saves so much in the end. It saves time leveling and it certainly would help your cakes. Even though they looked level, they weren't and no matter how well you decorate them, and you do, they don't look as good as they could.  Save your money and save yourself some aggravation and order the Agbay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%