Any Tips For The Newbie? Got Job At Custom Cake Shop And Nervous

Lounge By sweetcravings Updated 12 May 2014 , 11:25pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I just got a job at a nearby small custom bakeshop and start in a few days. I've been out of the workforce for many years and am mostly self taught.  I am so nervous that i will forget everything i know or do something that will irritate the other workers.  For those of you who work in a small bakeshop any tips for the newbie?

5 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 6

First off, congratulations!  Keep a positive attitude, take your time and don't be afraid to ask for help if you don't understand something. You've done the hard part which is to get hired, they must have seen some potential.  And remember that Rome wasn't built in a day, lol.

When I first started out in a bakery I was so nervous (didn't know much of anything) but they were really nice and accommodating. After a couple of weeks, I took to it like a duck to water.

You will be just fine ;-D 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 6

hmm, the pecking order is very important--egos typically run high to very high even though it may not appear that way initially-- so the least ego you have the better you'll be -- be prepared to do things their way even though you've never done it that way before and even though your way might be better -- i would avoid any kind of 'me-teach-you' kind of events  -- even if goes smoothly at the time it can and will be held against you-- there's plenty of time for 'sharing' in a few months when you get accustomed to everyone--

you want to appear valuable to the owner but kinda dumb to fellow decorators sort of --so forgetting what you know kinda sorta might be a blessing -- :-D 

because they might not even have the kind of equipment you are used to so...and unless instructed to i would not bring my own equipment--it's too easy to loose track of it--they should supply you--i've worked for places where they don't even use turntables -- rolling my eyes here -- or they have 3 and you're the 4th decorator so be prepared for a bit of culture shock -- but it gets better!

it's awesome though-- i love this kind of work -- the initiation process might or might not be smooth but it's wonderful satisfying work

sweetcravings Posted 12 May 2014 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 6

Wow..you've given me some great tips thus far..thank you! ;)  

I'm so excited to get in there and get my hands on some cake. I'm just so fearful of failure and I want this job to be a success in the worst way.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 May 2014 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 6
  • “Be indispensable.” It doesn’t matter what you do for a living, that advice will keep you employed.
  • Mike Rowe from 'Dirty Jobs'

• conscientious brings future success......

Conscienciousness:

Painstaking.  Showing great care, attention and industriousness in carryout a task or role.

In accordance with somebody’s conscience.  Governed by or done according to somebody’s sense of right and wrong.

http://cakecentral.com/t/774713/how-about-a-recipe-for-success-heres-one-idea

sweetcravings Posted 12 May 2014 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

• “Be indispensable.” It doesn’t matter what you do for a living, that advice will keep you employed.

Mike Rowe from 'Dirty Jobs'

• conscientious brings future success......

Conscienciousness:

Painstaking.  Showing great care, attention and industriousness in carryout a task or role.

In accordance with somebody’s conscience.  Governed by or done according to somebody’s sense of right and wrong.

http://cakecentral.com/t/774713/how-about-a-recipe-for-success-heres-one-idea

Funny you should post this..I received the "most conscientious award" in school. :) So hopefully I'll do just fine.lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%