Guitar Cake

Decorating By momo4s Updated 27 May 2014 , 8:21pm by AZCouture

momo4s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momo4s Posted 7 May 2014 , 7:51am
post #1 of 16

AMaking a guitar cake for my brothers graduation. How do I make the fondant look like the natural color, and smooth texture of an accustic guitar without airbrushing? This is his guitar.....[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3232350/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

15 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 May 2014 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 16

Paint the color on. I don't even think airbrushing would be preferable in this case.

momo4s Posted 7 May 2014 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 16

AIm pretty new to caked, how would I paint it on? Would I use gel? Would that make it sticky? Thanks for the help!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 7 May 2014 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 16

She explains how she did it in the comments. Hth

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2290329/acoustic-guitar/

momo4s Posted 7 May 2014 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 16

YES! That is EXACTLY the info and picture I needed, thank you so much!

enga Posted 8 May 2014 , 12:01am
post #6 of 16

You're welcome 

momo4s Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:13am
post #7 of 16

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3241958/width/200/height/400[/IMG] OK, so this isnt the finished cake but it showd how my "wood" turned out. Budget didnt allow for fondant so i just did buttercream in a color that matched then dipped a small paint brush in brown food coloring mixed with water to lightly make vertical streaks. Turned out awesome!

enga Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:20am
post #8 of 16

It sure did, love the way you incorporated the graduation theme on it too! ;-D 

momo4s Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:24am
post #9 of 16

AThank You!:)

enga Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:34am
post #10 of 16

You're  welcome momo4. 

enga Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:54am
post #11 of 16

This computer keeps kicking me off. I wanted to say that I have never done a carved 3D cake before besides a torso or number shape, cant wait see the finished cake! Your brother is going to be so happy!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 May 2014 , 8:14am
post #12 of 16

Just out of curiosity, what would have made using fondant really that much more expensive to the customer, in this specific example? Do you feel like you spent more time on it, smoothing the butter cream and doing whatever else you had to do to get it to a satisfactory finish? I'm genuinely curious, because I won't do something like that without using fondant, mainly because I only use SMBC or ganache, and getting either one of those to look like woodgrain wouldn't be something I'd bother trying. So even if I did use an American BC, I would imagine any savings to the customer would get eaten up and maybe even exceeded by the time I'd then have to spend perfecting that BC, like a lot of time.

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 27 May 2014 , 9:30am
post #13 of 16

AI don't think she made this cake for a customer, it was for her brother's graduation. So I'm guessing she was covering all costs for it? And fondant didn't fit into her budget.

momo4s Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:43pm
post #14 of 16

ANadiaa is correct on that one AZCouture, In my family the first two weeks of May include my moms b-day, dads b-day, mothers day, and a friends b-day. This year we added doing my brothers graduation and my other brothers baby shower so I had a limited personal budget I was working with on this one and I was willing to sacrafice my extra time. Usually though you are right and I would do fondant for speed. :)

momo4s Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:57pm
post #15 of 16

ATo add to your question about speed though AZCouture, I have a lot of people ask for buttercream on their sculpted cakes and yes it does take a little more time but i just quickly get it as smooth as possible with the spatula, let it dry, dip the spatula in a little water then go smooth over any bumps, let it dry again, then use thw viva paper towel. Im really new to cake making ao there is probably a better/faster way but i've done in few times now so I feel like it takes less and less time each time I do it. Still longer than fondant but not a huge difference. Hope that helps...

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 May 2014 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 16

AAlrighty, thanks for the explanation. Totally see doing that for a family member, gotcha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%