Bagged Rapsberry Filling?

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 3 May 2014 , 2:45pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 2 May 2014 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 10

I bought some bagged raspberry filling from my local cake store .. I filled two cakes with it today (to be served on Sunday, 2 days from now)  I have a TON of this filling left over .. How long will this last me before it goes bad?  Also, the cake filling should be fine for two days in the fridge, right?  Thanks!

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 10

it lasts a looong time--can be frozen-- yes cake should be fine if it is well sealed in plastic and no smelly cut onions nearby -- if it's boxed i would slide than into some plastic

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 May 2014 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 10

They don't have any expiration dates printed on the bags do they?  It seems that they would last in the fridge much like jam and marmalade do.

Every time I've splurged and paid for the shipping to Alaska, I've used it up within a week. :P

TheCakerator Posted 2 May 2014 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks you guys .. I didn't see any expiration date on the bag .. It's in a long plastic sleeve tube type thing .. like, over a foot long!  I have it in a ziploc gallon bag in the fridge right now .. If I froze it, would I just toss it in the freezer in the ziploc bag?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 May 2014 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 10

Now here's something that I'd do, and I know - I know - I'm crazy about my heat sealer machines.........

I'd clean out the neck of the bag, with water and paper towel (not soap of course). Dry it well, push out any excess air, and Heat seal it !!    Any bag that was heat sealed when you bought it, can be heat sealed by you.

Then fridge or freeze or dry store as normal.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 10

that's a great idea, mb--i bought an expensive heat sealer for my tearoom and it broke in the first few weeks of use --grr-- 

so now when i vaccuum seal and it's only for us here at home--i zip lock the bag closed with a straw stuck in there and i suck out the air whip out the straw and zip it closed real quick -- i mean not for freezing soup or anything like that though--just like chicken or roast something --

:-D

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 May 2014 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 10

Bakeries use these sleeves and then toss 'em back in the cooler. (Sometimes the sleeves are not even closed at the end.) If the filling is not contaminated, it should keep a few weeks.

TheCakerator Posted 3 May 2014 , 12:13am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone!  The heat sealer is a great idea but I don't have one ..maybe time to invest!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 May 2014 , 12:47am
post #9 of 10

Evoir tip - buy a $7 mini hair straightener and use that to heal seal any plastic bags. I use one to seal faux 'cellophane' cookie bags before tying on ribbon.

(Fun fact: Real cellophane is no longer available, and actually never would seal using an impulse/heat sealer)

TheCakerator Posted 3 May 2014 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%