To All Of The Long Time Members And Quite A Few New Ones……..

Lounge By enga Updated 26 Apr 2014 , 6:18am by ApplegumPam

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 2:40pm
post #61 of 95

A

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

That would be my own assumption as well; I can't remember whether or not there's another regular poster named James or not. And I look like my avatar, except for being about a decade and a half older (it's a vacation picture from my first visit to the organ loft at St. Mark's Cathedral, on my first visit to Seattle). And I really do play, although not well enough to do so in front of an audience unless it's a student recital. Although even a ham-handed beginner like myself would sound good on the St. Mark's Cathedral Flentrop.

Sorry, James! For some reason I only notice the first part of your screen name, hbquikc. :D

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 3:15pm
post #62 of 95

Shanter and I are actually from the same family, but she's known as "the pretty one".

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 3:38pm
post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 
  Sorry, James! For some reason I only notice the first part of your screen name, hbquikc. icon_biggrin.gif

No offense taken (typically, unless you're trying to bribe me, offending me is something you have to work at).

And as to my user-ID, when I first started establishing accounts with various boards and online services, about a decade and a half ago, I came up with a user-ID derived from my ISP's domain and my ISP user-ID. (Which is to say, you can derive my email and web addresses from it, with a little bit of thought. In those situations where I have a screen-name separate from my actual name or my actual user-ID, I've been known to go by "tracker-backer" (that would be my presence on Flickr, but it's somebody else entirely on Twitter, since I don't do social media); in my case, it is in the sense of a type of organ geek, not in the sense of hunting, or in the sense of the GM SUV.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 4:27pm
post #64 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcl 

Shanter and I are actually from the same family, but she's known as "the pretty one".

Thanks, @mhcl - I do try to keep clean and polish the fangs every week.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 1:24am
post #65 of 95

What? I wear gloves when I bake.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 4:44am
post #66 of 95

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 6:19am
post #67 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Well the new trend now is calling people bullies, and huffing up when someone doesn't give you what you want to hear. Oh, and a lot of entitlement attitudes too! I think the forum is just as helpful as ever, I try my best, but there is a LOT of BS. Lots of demanding of members to divulge exactly how do they things, apparently suggesting Google for people to help them find things is considered rude, you're supposed to Google for them and provide the answers; showing someone how to help themselves for future reference is just not ok I guess. Some people that don't own businesses jump into threads and chastise members for their opinions on they would handle tricky business situations, even though the replies and advice are spot on for...business people. Sometimes it's a mess. I try to clear up the junk when I can, and even asking for clarification regarding someone's reply or opinion is considered rude. Go figure. :(

You never hold anything back and I love it. Some people want everything sugar coated or it offends them. Everything you said was spot on. 

enga Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 10:55am
post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestomuch 

Quote:

Well the new trend now is calling people bullies, and huffing up when someone doesn't give you what you want to hear. Oh, and a lot of entitlement attitudes too! I think the forum is just as helpful as ever, I try my best, but there is a LOT of BS. Lots of demanding of members to divulge exactly how do they things, apparently suggesting Google for people to help them find things is considered rude, you're supposed to Google for them and provide the answers; showing someone how to help themselves for future reference is just not ok I guess. Some people that don't own businesses jump into threads and chastise members for their opinions on they would handle tricky business situations, even though the replies and advice are spot on for...business people. Sometimes it's a mess. I try to clear up the junk when I can, and even asking for clarification regarding someone's reply or opinion is considered rude. Go figure. :(

You never hold anything back and I love it. Some people want everything sugar coated or it offends them. Everything you said was spot on. 

So tell me cakestomuch, what are you trying to say? Are you trying to say that what AZ posted on this thread is not offensive? She even admits that she's offensive by stating, "If I get banned for this, it's ok. Been there, done that."

This thread is basic proof that because she is " a successful professional business owner", her words not mine, she can basically say what ever she wants to say and get away with it because members like you love it.

It also proves that no matter how honest and forthright I was trying to be when I started this post, I will forever be seen as outright rude and a pot stirrer in her eyes and many others.

Thank you for your contributions to this thread everyone, it's been truly enlightening.

ApplegumPam Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 1:14pm
post #69 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

Quote:

Quote:

So tell me cakestomuch, what are you trying to say? Are you trying to say that what AZ posted on this thread is not offensive? She even admits that she's offensive by stating, "If I get banned for this, it's ok. Been there, done that."

This thread is basic proof that because she is " a successful professional business owner", her words not mine, she can basically say what ever she wants to say and get away with it because members like you love it.

It also proves that no matter how honest and forthright I was trying to be when I started this post, I will forever be seen as outright rude and a pot stirrer in her eyes and many others.

Thank you for your contributions to this thread everyone, it's been truly enlightening.

ApplegumPam Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 1:17pm
post #70 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

Quote:

Quote:

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 1:37pm
post #71 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

Pam are you a blue asssed fly. ?  This made me giggle. 

enga Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 2:02pm
post #72 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 

Quote:

And a bully apparently who likes the attention she gets from stirring the pot.

enga Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 2:19pm
post #73 of 95

But her posts only add to the rainbow that makes up cake central. By offering her contribution even if she thinks it is being sarcastic and witty to some and makes for good entertainment right?

ApplegumPam Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 2:21pm
post #74 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 

Quote:

Nope - that is a blue mud dauber

Enga - I am going to IGNORE you .   

enga Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 2:24pm
post #75 of 95

Please do, by all means have fun. I mean this is fun to you right?

enga Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 2:31pm
post #76 of 95

With that I'm off to work, enjoy your day!

enga Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 2:48pm
post #77 of 95

Oh, I almost forgot, a little education on mud daubers.

Like most other wasps, mud daubers are predators. The females not only build the nests, but also they hunt to provision them. However, pipe-organ mud dauber males have reportedly brought spiders to the nest, and they aid in nest guarding.

Black and yellow mud daubers primarily prey on relatively small, colorful spiders, such as crab spiders (and related groups), orb weavers and some jumping spiders. They usually find them in and around vegetation. Blue mud daubers are the main predator of the black and brown widow spiders.

Adults of both ***es frequently drink flower nectar, but they stock their nests with spiders, which serve as food for their offspring. Like connoisseurs, they prefer particular kinds of spiders, and particular sizes of spiders for their larders. Instead of stocking a nest cell with one or two large spiders, mud daubers cram as many as two dozen small spiders into a nest cell. They appear to know exactly what they are hunting for, and where to find it.

Pipe-organ mud daubers generally provision their nests with various kinds of orb weavers, but their diets includes other kinds of spiders, as well. Blue mud daubers prefer immature black widow spiders and their relatives. They hunt them in dry areas, such as outbuildings, rocky areas and stone piles.

To capture a spider, the wasp grabs it and stings it into submission.[citation needed] The venom from the sting does not kill the spider, but paralyzes and preserves it so it can be transported and stored in the nest cell until consumed by the larva. A mud dauber usually lays its egg on the prey item and then seals it into the nest cell with a mud cap.[1] It then builds another cell or nest. Missouri’s mud daubers generally have two generations per year. The young survive the winter inside the nest.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 2:49pm
post #78 of 95

AExcuse me, but so far, I've found absolutely nothing "enga" said (with the possible exception of some of her response to "AZCouture" and "cakestomuch") the slightest bit offensive, and neither did I find anything the slightest bit offensive about what "AZCouture" said, that was quoted by "enga" and "cakestomuch."

Unfortunately, people who either take offense where none was intended, or who go out of their way to give offense for no apparent reason, OR BOTH, are part of the environment in the online world of boards, lists, and blogs. Case in point, the firestorm (since suppressed by the moderators) which erupted in another Cake Central forum, when I dared to offer genuine sympathy, constructive support, and even a suggestion of how to deal with a "customer from Hell," rather than empty platitudes, to somebody in a situation I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, and several individuals (NOT the thread's OP, who took my words EXACTLY as I'd intended them!) jumped to the conclusion that I was insulting the OP.

I took the original post of this thread to mean exactly what its very first paragraph SAYS it means: a letter of thanks to all of us, celebrating the diversity without backing away from the fact that, just as in the real world, disagreements and unpleasantness are a necessary part of that diversity.

And I took the post from "AZCouture" about how some are far too quick to read realism as bullying as being about precisely that, nothing more, nothing less, and if those who fit that category had lived through my childhood (in which the overwhelming majority of my friends in school were faculty and staff), they would KNOW what bullying, PHYSICAL AS WELL AS VERBAL (the only broken bone I've ever had was the result of such an act) REALLY looks like. There is PLENTY of REAL bullying going around; we have no more reason to chase after phantom bullies than the Southern Poverty Law Center would have to pull imaginary hate groups out of the woodwork.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 3:12pm
post #79 of 95

Thank you, James. It's always great when someone can see both sides and is not afraid to post their thoughts. And my heart goes out to you for what you have endured. 

mollineau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollineau Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 3:26pm
post #80 of 95

You are so right!!!!!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 4:00pm
post #81 of 95

I'm pretty thick-skinned, and sometimes I say things rather matter-of-factly.  If I've offended anyone, my sincere apologies; I'm usually just here to help and share. I do know that if you throw more than a few people into a room, even a chat room, there's bound to be people that just don't get along.  I really do hate that.  I have seen and can usually tell when a thread is devolving into "drama-ville" and that's generally when I step away from the keyboard.

I wish everyone here the best.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 5:12pm
post #82 of 95

AThe thing going on that makes you feel like you should send out a general apology is the problem, in my opinion.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 5:25pm
post #83 of 95

Oh, I don't think I have said or done anything wrong, especially to @enga, but I was mentioned in the OP and I couldn't quite figure out the context of the paragraph I was mentioned in.  The point of my post was that I frequent these boards to offer assistance and general conversation, not manufacture drama.  Nothing I have ever written on CC was meant to disparage anyone.  If anyone was offended, it was not my intent.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 5:44pm
post #84 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

Oh, I don't think I have said or done anything wrong, especially to @enga, but I was mentioned in the OP and I couldn't quite figure out the context of the paragraph I was mentioned in.

Jennifer, I had also read the list of names and it made no sense to me, either. We were both trying to make sense out of something that is not comprehensible. That's part of the overall issue which was howsweet's point. I'm only sorry that a moderator didn't step in immediately.  

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 5:54pm
post #85 of 95

AThe reason I said I didn't care if I get banned, was me flinching a bit recalling that in the past, something like would earn a person a banning, simply from the tone of it. But maybe....the actual words hold enough weight to stand. So....knock it off Enga.

AZCouture Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 5:56pm
post #86 of 95

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

Thank you, James. It's always great when someone can see both sides and is not afraid to post their thoughts. And my heart goes out to you for what you have endured. 

I agree, that's an incredible post there. Truly. If I tried to add anything to that I'd fail miserably.

enga Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 6:27pm
post #87 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

Oh, I don't think I have said or done anything wrong, especially to @enga, but I was mentioned in the OP and I couldn't quite figure out the context of the paragraph I was mentioned in.  The point of my post was that I frequent these boards to offer assistance and general conversation, not manufacture drama.  Nothing I have ever written on CC was meant to disparage anyone.  If anyone was offended, it was not my intent.

cupadeecakes your name was mentioned because of your excellent contributions to Cake Central and I wanted to thank everyone who contributes to it even if I don't agree with what they say. Why cant everyone accept the thread for what it is, a thank letter to the all different but all equal community that should be able to get along despite our differences. I apologized because some members think that I am 1) rude, 2) a pot stirrer, 3) fishing for attention, 4) that I don't deserve to have an opinion because I don't have a business...............

I am soooo tired of words being placed in my mouth :roll: and I am tired of defending myself for my actual words and getting banned for it. So I apologized and look what it got me, gee thanks. Now everyone is bent out of shape for what, saying thank you and you are appreciated? It is sad that only a few actually got it....

AZCouture Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 7:05pm
post #88 of 95

AI'm not bent out of shape, I don't think anyone is bent out of shape except for yourself. You know, you just mentioned the problem. You're tired of explaining yourself, you seem to think people put words in your mouth, and you have to clarify that you were attempting a nicety. Doncha think it may just be your general tone and the way you speak? I don't see anyone else having to clarify, excuse, explain what they say. Repeatedly.

AZCouture Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 7:07pm
post #89 of 95

AAnd you weren't doing anything with your post but stirring up trouble. Everyone else manages to show their appreciation and thanks for others by simply saying....thank you, on specific threads or maybe even in a pm.

AZCouture Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 8:22pm
post #90 of 95

A

Beautiful creature! We have pepsid wasps here in the desert that sting and paralyze tarantulas, and drag them into burrows to lay their eggs in. The eggs hatch, and the maggots feed on the paralyzed (still alive!) spider. They're fascinating to see up close, but at a healthy distance, because of the giant stinger. You can just see intelligence when you look at them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%