Need Urgent Strawberry Cake Advice!!

Baking By jespooky Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 12:03am by kjt

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 1:12am
post #1 of 10

Hi all,
I'm in a pickle icon_sad.gif My mom's birthday is Saturday, and the lady that was going to do her cake cancelled!!! So now my dad says it's up to me. Thanks for the notice!!

She wants a 1/2 strawberry, 1/2 chocolate cake with strawberry frosting and NO filling! I've never made a half and half cake before, and she said something about pudding to the mix (the lady that usually makers her a cake does that). I looked at the recipes on CC and didn't see one that seem to fit. Anyone have a good recipe for me for strawberry cake with pudding mix in it?

I don't even know what design i'm going to do icon_cry.gif maybe chocolate dipped strawberries on top? Can i freeze those and will they thaw ok or will they sweat?? Sorry this is so long icon_sad.gif Thanks in advance!!

9 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 1:20am
post #2 of 10

I just made a strawberry cake for the first time the other day and dh's co-residents loved it. I used DH strawberry cake mix and added 1 box of instant white chocolate pudding, I did 3 egg white and a whole egg but it was kind of fragile so next time I will use 3 whole eggs, 1/4 c oil and 1 1/4 c water/milk mix. I also used a 1 of chopped/mashed fresh strawberries but I'm not sure if it really makes a difference because they kind of disappeared and were just purple spots in the finished cake.

icon_smile.gif

Happy Birthday to your mom!

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:08am
post #3 of 10

sounds yummy! Anyone else have any suggestions for me???

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 10

I make a really good strawberry cake, but it has jello in it, not pudding.

1 white cake mix (i use DH)
1- 3 oz. pkg strawberry jello
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 Tablespoons flour
4 oz frozen (thawed) or fresh strawberries
1/2 cup buttermilk

If using frozen berries, thaw and drain them.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease and flour your cake pan(s).
Combine all ingredients and mix for 30 seconds.
scrape down the bowl and continue mixing on medium speed for 2 mins. Pour batter in pans and bake. I usually bake for about 45 mins.

Cindy

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 10

I bought a Pillsbury strawberry box cake mix, added the extender recipe along with a big splash of strawberry flavored Torani coffee syrup...yum yum! Was a HUGE hit......icon_wink.gif

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 10

All of those recipes sound YUMMY!!

As for the dipped strawberries...from my experience...you have to dip them just prior to putting them on the cake. If you freeze them, when they thaw they will shrink and you will have a shell of chocolate with an itty bitty berry!!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy6250

Cindy

Hi Cindy,
Your strawberry cake sounds delicious! Is the crumb heavy enough to stack? icon_confused.gif
TIA,
Kathy
Ps Where in Memphis? That's my home town...

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 10

I always use Pilsbury box mix for my strawberry cakes- add some instant pudding mix; vanilla or cheesecake or white chocolate. I usually add about 1/2 package of pudding and don't make any other changes to the box instructions. (I've purreed my own strawberries and worked way too hard on scratch recipes, and everyone likes the box mix the best!)
As for doing half and half- make a cardboard divider for my pans- cut to fit the inside dimensions- doesn't have to be perfect, and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place the divider in the pan- I usually tape it to the sides of the pan while pouring batter. Pour in the first flavor on one side and let it settle in, then pour the other flavor on the other side. Once the batter has leveled itself, pull the divider straight up and immediately put the cake in the oven to bake.The area where they meet may get a little marbled, but the flavors compliment each other- it will be OK.
Dipped strawberries have to be done as close to serving time as possible.
Maybe try getting a white or milk chocolate bar and shaving choc curls (with a potato peeler) onto the top. That's easy and impressive looking! Good luck!

mcchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcchick Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 10

I agree with everyone else, the strawberries must be done last minute. They even begin to sweat if you refridgerate them. In my experience I have found that dark chocolate holds up better than milk chocolate on the strawberries. It hardens more. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:03am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy6250

1 white cake mix (i use DH)
1- 3 oz. pkg strawberry jello
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 Tablespoons flour
4 oz frozen (thawed) or fresh strawberries
1/2 cup buttermilk

If using frozen berries, thaw and drain them.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease and flour your cake pan(s).
Combine all ingredients and mix for 30 seconds.
scrape down the bowl and continue mixing on medium speed for 2 mins. Pour batter in pans and bake. I usually bake for about 45 mins.

Cindy

Cindy,
I made your strawberry cake this weekend...it's superb icon_biggrin.gif
Moist, dense enough to stack, tastes great, and is a really pretty color, too. Thanks so much...you should post it in the recipe section thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%