Date Booked Before Tasting, Now What?

Business By RheaCakeQueen Updated 5 Apr 2014 , 6:16pm by RheaCakeQueen

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:27am
post #1 of 8

I have never had this happen before, but I had Bride A come for a tasting and left with no commitment because they had other tastings. No problem. Then Bride B asks for a tasting, and her wedding date is the same day as Bride A. I set up the date for that tasting (still hasn't happened yet). Today I head back from bride A and they want to book the date (Yay!).  So now I have no availability for that date. How do you tactfully tell bride B that her date is no longer available? I have told her that I do not reserve dates without a deposit, so I feel that I am not wrong to cancel at this point, but I still feel bad. Thoughts? What would you do? 

7 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:34am
post #2 of 8

Why do you feel bad?  You've got someone booked.  You told her your policy and that's really all you can do.  I would send her an email informing her another bride has booked her wedding date so you will have to cancel her appointment.  Wish her well and if you are able maybe recommend a few other bakers.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 4:33am
post #3 of 8

AIf the other bride hasn't contacted you since then, you don't have anything to explain. If I went back and told every person that contacted me about a cake that their date was now booked, I wouldn't have any free time. The policies regarding booking should be explained at or before the consultation takes place.

AZCouture Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 4:35am
post #4 of 8

AYeah, you aren't cancelling anything, they never made a commitment to you. I make sure that the ballis always in their court as far as pproceeding with an order. I never leave any questions unanswered, anything open ended, nothing. It's understood how they need to book their date, and that any action due is completely on their behalf.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 4:48am
post #5 of 8

So you scheduled a tasting for bride B and so she never had a chance to put down a deposit to hold the date? Has bride A paid a deposit yet? If not I would still hold the tasting and see which bride pays a deposit first.

AZCouture Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 4:55am
post #6 of 8

A

Original message sent by Smallfrye

So you scheduled a tasting for bride B and so she never had a chance to put down a deposit to hold the date? Has bride A paid a deposit yet? If not I would still hold the tasting and see which bride pays a deposit first.

No, the one who came for the tasting already had the chance to book the date but didn't, and now the OP has a bride that wants to book the date without even coming to the tasting first. That's how I interpret it.

AZCouture Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 4:58am
post #7 of 8

AAck! I misread the post. Yes, politely inform her that her date has been booked. But I would make sure that first bride pays immediately before you possibly lose out on both. I did that once, and made me change my policies immediately!

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your comments. I know I shouldn't feel bad, but it is the first tasting I have had to cancel because the date booked up (signed contract and check in hand) before the tasting could take place.  At least it was before and the bride isn't out any money (I charge for my tastings), so that is a good thing.  I am sure this too will get easier in time as my business grows. I appreciate the reassurance that I did everything right and this is just part of the business.

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%