Aussie Bakers Please Help!

Decorating By MustangMollie Updated 30 Mar 2014 , 7:59am by cazza1

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

AI've been living in Australia for 4 years now, but the names of the sugars here really confuse me. If I'm using an American cookbook (or Craftsys cake decorating classes) what is the Aussie equivalent of powdered sugar?

What is soft icing mixture? What is caster sugar?

Will snow creme work in place of shortening?

Thank you!!! :)

5 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 6

AIn Australia we call powdered sugar, icing sugar. I prefer to use pure icing sugar as it does not have any additives. Soft icing mix is pure icing sugar with corn flour added to reduce lumps.

Caster sugar is the Australian equivalent of the US superfine sugar.

I haven't heard of Snowcreme, but in my experience a product name with dodgy spelling is not something I want to eat!

Shortening from the US can replaced by Copha, a vegetable-based fat. Pretty disgusting stuff, if you ask me! Go butter for flavour....you won't regret it!

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 6

AThank you so much Winnie! You're such a life saver ... Or cake saver!

I'm getting ready to start a pretty complicated cake for my daughter's birthday and I needed to get straight on the ingredients.

Thanks again!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

In Australia we call powdered sugar, icing sugar. I prefer to use pure icing sugar as it does not have any additives. Soft icing mix is pure icing sugar with corn flour added to reduce lumps.

Caster sugar is the Australian equivalent of the US superfine sugar.

I haven't heard of Snowcreme, but in my experience a product name with dodgy spelling is not something I want to eat!

Shortening from the US can replaced by Copha, a vegetable-based fat. Pretty disgusting stuff, if you ask me! Go butter for flavour....you won't regret it!

You read my mind Winniemog, I don't want to eat anything with dodgy spelling and Copha is pretty disgusting stuff, I only use it to grease my hands when I am making figurines or flowers. Pure NZ unsalted butter and pure icing sugar all the way for me.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 4:23am
post #5 of 6

Icing Sugar Mixture is the equivalent of powdered sugar or confectioners" sugar.

Pure Icing does not have an equivalent product.

Caster sugar is the equivalent of Superfine [granulated] Sugar.

Copha does not have an equivalent product. It is not a substitute for Crisco or most vegetable shortenings as it is rock-solid at room temperature. It can be used in icings if you know how to handle it.

Pilot Premium Sno-Creme shortening is a commercial Hi Ratio shortening from Goodman Fielders used by bakeries and patisseries. It is a shortening for icing/frosting/filling. It comes in 15-25 kg boxes that some distributors re-box and re-bag into 500 g to1 kg lots.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 7:59am
post #6 of 6

Auzzie got there before me but everything I have read (and that has been quite a bit) says that copha can NOT be used as a substitute for shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%