I Need A Miracle

Business By Tbgirl Updated 19 Mar 2014 , 11:30pm by ellavanilla

Tbgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tbgirl Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 9

AOk here it goes... I am looking for some advice, I have always wanted to decorate cakes, an I mean always! So I would play with cake boxes and canned frosting (yuck) I went to all the Wilton classes and you tube everything cake related I can think of! So I jumped in head first with cake from scratch and a decent buttercream recipe. My homemade cakes are so heavy and dense, definitely not one someone would want to buy. I thought I found the perfect buttercream recipe but just had a piece of my box cake and its soo sweet :( my decorating skills are ok(still decorating cakes every chance I get) and I have made some mmf that turned out pretty good. I don't want things to be ok I want wonderful! I am now a stay at home mom and would really love if this worked out for me. Any recipe, classes that helped or suggestions period would be wonderful!

8 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 9

AThere is no easy or fast solution.

Practice.

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

There is no easy or fast solution.

Practice.

This! definitely, practice practice practice!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 9

I've been doing it for 30 years and I'm still 'practising'!  You should consult baking books, Google, favourite aunts :-D and beg steal or borrow as many different types of cake recipes as you can.  No matter where you bake (I'm in London) this will be what most cake makers do.  When I first took cake decorating classes I couldn't even cook!  I had to get up to speed pdq.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 9

As far as buttercream, have you ever tried Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  It is not as sweet as American Buttercream.  If you want to try it, here is a tutorial http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/.  This is how I make mine and it's perfect every time.  Make sure to use unsalted butter.  It does take more flavoring than the American Buttercream.  As far as recipes for cakes, there are tons on recipes that you can find on this site for you to try.  I find that scratch cakes are denser than boxed cakes but everyone who has tasted my cakes love them.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 9

Once you get that Swiss Meringue ButterCream recipe going, do yourself a real treat and learn from

Cup a Dee Cakes blog  How to smooth your icing.

http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-do-i-get-my-cakes-smooth.html

cupadeecakes is a great decorator and cake artist here on CC.  Her tutorial on smoothing the icing really rocked my SMBC decorating world, and allowed me to make a buttercream wedding cake (without fondant per my bride friends request) that looked acceptable.

cheers,

mb

Tbgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tbgirl Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 9

ASo no miracle? ;) thank you all I can't wait to try the smbc!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

There is no easy or fast solution.

Practice.

No, no miracles, just hard work, and dedication. Have fun!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

No, no miracles, just hard work, and dedication. Have fun!

yup. every recipe that i've created has taken almost a solid year to perfect.

i recommend The Cake Bible, by Rose Levy Beranbaum. It's informative and meticulously edited. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%