Coffee Flavored Cake And Or Icing? Help.

Baking By johnbailey64 Updated 18 Mar 2014 , 12:57pm by johnbailey64

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 8

AI've never done a coffee flavored cake. I'm thinking of just flavoring the icing. Can anyone help with recipes? Please. :-)

7 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 8
craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 8

A search on the forums here would  help you out a lot, someone asked a similar question about what flavorings to pair with coffee. I love chocolate/espresso as it's a great combo, I do that with my brownies (using a couple of tablespoons of instant coffee). Look up recipes for Mocha frosting as well if you just want a plain cake with a coffee icing. That said, any cake goes well with coffee flavoring in my opinion. If you need inspiration on flavorings to pair it with, go to a coffee shop and see what flavor syrups they use. To just add some coffee flavoring to an existing recipe, just add a few spoonfuls of instant coffee and go from there.

:smile: 

johnbailey64 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I had done a search, and searched Mocha, but still felt I needed direction. A lot of the recipes didn't have comments or not great ones,

Also if you just search coffee cake.. it's not coffee flavor..lol...

I live in a small rural town.. no coffee shops here at all.

I think I may try a basic chocolate cake with brewed coffee instead of water, and a Mocha Frappichino icing recipe I found. Hoping it's good. Its a birthday cake. I think I'm going to try to make a topper with a cup of coffee with a fondant figure swimming in it... We shall see!

It's for Saturday, so I've gotta finalize my plans today.

Thanks again.

Linda

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 8

Brew your coffee strong then!

Some flavors at coffee shops are:

Hazelnut

Vanilla

Chocolate (Milk, Dark)

Toffee

Butterscotch

White Chocolate-my favorite ;)

Cinnamon

Caramel

Mint/Peppermint

I did a search on here for just "Coffee", then clicked on recipes. I got loads of recipes for coffee icing and coffee flavored cakes. Try "espresso" as a search term too.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khamilton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khamilton Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 8

AThere is coffee extract in the baking isle along w/ the vanilla, etc at my local Food Lion. Also mix instant coffee granules right in w/ batter or icing.

johnbailey64 Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks guys. I ended up adding strong ( I thought) brewed coffee to the cake batter in place of water. I used a chocolate cake. Maybe I could taste a hint of coffee, but not much.

However, for the icing, I used the Mocha Frappichino recipe I found on here for the base and tweeked it a bit. It used instant coffee. I think it turned out pretty good. You could taste and even smell the coffee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%