Mascarpone Frosting On A Red Velvet Cake - Travelling Unrefrigerated + Requested Delivery Date 3 Days Before Event

Decorating By c4k3m4k3r Updated 12 Mar 2014 , 9:56am by leah_s

c4k3m4k3r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c4k3m4k3r Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 3:02am
post #1 of 5

The title pretty much says it all.  I have a request for a 2 tiered red velvet cake covered in mascarpone cheese frosting.  

Here's the deal:

-requester lives 7 hours from where the event will take place (baby baptism "back home")

-no possibility of refrigeration during the drive (2 kids in the car, as well, so there will be many stops)

-they are leaving Thursday morning (which means delivery Wednesday) and the baptism is Saturday so this means they won't be cutting that cake until day 3

I always bake and deliver fresh so this 3 day time difference is worrying me.  I always refrigerate cakes and considering this one is cream cheese, I don't feel comfortable having it go to room temperature during that drive.  I've also never worked with mascarpone and am finding conflicting information about refrigeration requirements.

Thanks in advance for any info you could give! 

4 replies
custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 3:09am
post #2 of 5

AIs there anyway u could get a cooler? Or rig something up with dry ice? I wouldn't want to serve a cake with cream cheese filling that's been out for 3 days. 1day ok but 3 is pushing it.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 3:11am
post #3 of 5

A"I would love to make your cake, but the logistics just won't work for this one. I hope you can find a great baker in your hometown! Please consider me for future local events."

c4k3m4k3r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c4k3m4k3r Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 3:17am
post #4 of 5

it would be out only during transportation.  so there would be a 7-10 hour gap in refrigeration.  would be refrigerated until delivery and then refrigerated once it arrives.  

it's for a friend so i really hate to say no.  

also, what about the quality after 3 days?  i'm used to serving fresh only.  

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 9:56am
post #5 of 5

AYou've only got a 4 hour window when this cake can be out of refrigeration. That includes the mixing and decorating time.

Just say no.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%