Elephant Cake, Please Help!!!

Decorating By A Cake A Day Updated 24 Jan 2016 , 11:47pm by alene

A Cake A Day Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A Cake A Day Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 9

I had a woman ask me to make this cake for a baby shower. I have made a 3D dinosaur cake before, but I am unsure of type/size of pans to use for this cake. Are there ball shaped pans that would be big enough for this? Or would I have to bake and then carve? She said she needs 40 servings. I planned to make at least the legs out of rice crispy,, and possible the trunk too. She wants a bowler hat, monocle, and mustache instead of tusks. Any advice on pan types/size and general approach would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

~~ photo from Pregnancy Corner (facebook)

8 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 9

AI would just bake in pyrex bowls and do the trunk & feet in fondant. Have fun, it's a cute cake :-)

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 9

Did you ever make the elephant baby shower cake?  If so, what pans did you end up using?  I have an order for that cake next week.  

A Cake A Day Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A Cake A Day Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 3:35am
post #4 of 9

AI did make the cake...hats off to the baker that made the cake in the picture I shared....I put this cake off to the last minute because I really didn't know how to go about it....big mistake. Hind sight is 20/20, so a lot I would do differently...I baked 10,9,8, and 6 inch rounds...I cut those in half...I then placed them in different ways to see what I thought would work best and then iced them into the formation I decided on. After that, I began to carve the cake...I baked the head in a Pyrex bowl. Unfortunately I didn't account for the heavy fondant hat kind of weighing down the head of the elephant...im[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3217214/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

AngieP21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieP21 Posted 4 May 2014 , 12:13am
post #5 of 9

A[ATTACHMENT=1664]:D[/ATTACHMENT][IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3230328/width/500/height/1000[/IMG] Made this cake with the help of you guys!! Ty!!:D

AmberC2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberC2 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 9

I would use the soccer ball pan and make two of them. Then use rice krispie for the trunk and feet or even just fondant for the feet. 

RobinBusby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinBusby Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 1:55am
post #7 of 9

ALOOKS GREAT

aussieloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussieloco Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 9

could you tell me what you charged for this cake?  Someone has asked me to make one very similar. 

Thanks!!

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 9

I made this cake back in 2014 and charged $120 for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%