Need Help Home Baker Wanting To Now Sell

Decorating By sweettreats210 Updated 9 Mar 2014 , 3:02pm by MimiFix

sweettreats210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats210 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 9

AI'm a home baker I've only really made cakes for family and friends. So now I've checked my state laws and want to sell to the public. Problem is my photos. They have stuff in the background since I'd only take a pic to show my friends/family. I'm trying to make a website but obviously my pics aren't professional more family photos. The cakes look nice though. So what would you do? I tried photoshop but was only able to kinda blur background and focus on cake not remove background ( not very good with that stuff) should I just post what I have and replace the pics as I do more cakes? I don't really have time/money to make new cakes. Help

8 replies
natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 9

You can either learn how to mask the background with Photoshop (there will be tutorials for it all over youtube, or use the photos you have and change them over as you are able.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 9

For you next cake, make a background out of fabric or wrapping paper to put behind the pictures.   You can cover foam core!

Easy and inexpensive.

If you are using a website I recommend only putting professional looking photos on there.  Cakes just don't look appealing with clutter in the background.  Presentation is everything when you are trying to get business.

If you want a small start with the existing photos you have, try Facebook, it's not as intimidating as a full-blown website but it will show people your work.

I only use FB and word of mouth for my business, as I want to keep it small.   (That and I simply have not practiced enough to serve a large and general population.  Each cake takes me forever.)

Good luck!  Getting good photos of cake takes a bit of practice but it's fun!

sweettreats210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats210 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 9

AThanks it would just be Facebook page not full website. I'm still learning also I work outside the home and have kids so want some business just not too big.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 3:39am
post #5 of 9

If it's just Facebook then use your existing photos, for sure!  then add new ones with better backgrounds as you get going.  I am in the same situation and FB works well.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 4:27am
post #6 of 9

Here's a tutorial on a quick, easy, cheap way to get clutter-free photos:

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=159822

CubasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CubasCakes Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 4:55am
post #7 of 9

I used to have the same problem & I fixed it easy & cheaply! I went to a craft store & bought a roll of white banner paper. When I have a cake to take a picture of, I roll the paper out on the counter to the edge, place my cake on top & then get someone in my house to hold the roll up in the air out of the way. Does that makes sense? It's kind of hard to explain. But then in the picture, it's all plain white. It's not perfect but it's still a lot better than before.

Here's a recent cake I did that with so you can see how it looks. Looks much better with more lighting.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3190229/sweet-16-masquerade-cake-everything-is-edible-including-the-mask-feather/u/932811/flat/1/

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 5:40am
post #8 of 9

If you only have a few photos and something is better than nothing... Is it possible to print your pics onto photo paper, buy some sort of paint from a craft store and a fine brush, paint around the edges of the cake in the pic and out to the edges of the paper, let it dry, scan the pic back into your computer and onto Facebook?  I know this is a long way around and might not be the best quality but it's worth a try if your background clutter is too distracting.

OR

Call your local high school and see if the computer teacher knows of anyone that could fix them with photoshop for extra credit ;)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delynn 

OR...  Call your local high school and see if the computer teacher knows of anyone that could fix them with photoshop for extra credit ;)

Excellent idea! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%