What Are We?! I'm Not A Bakery, Not A Boutique... Ugh!

Business By Moniquea Updated 11 Mar 2014 , 9:56pm by Sparklekat6

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:05am
post #1 of 24

Need 'blurb' for small wedding show, done but I can't figure out what to call myself.

I rent a kitchen at a church and wouldn't bring a bride there for tastings.  I don't have a retail/storefront so I do 'by appointment only'.

What do we call ourselves?

23 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:36am
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniquea 

What do we call ourselves?

If you produce baked goods, you own a bakery. If you're uncomfortable with that, perhaps further define it as a micro-bakery.

Moniquea Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 3:09am
post #3 of 24

Ooo... I like that!  A Micro-bakery :D

Thanks for linking me to a bakery though... as stupid as this may sound... I feel validated ;)

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 6:24am
post #4 of 24

Though the health department and  other licensing folk people call it a bakery, I like to say I own a "cake and pastry studio."  One of my colleagues took that and called her business "The Dessert Studio"

Moniquea Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 24

AI like the studio too but I have no studio for them to visit. Its just me and Starbucks :-)

I got a caterers permit so I always feel weird about the whole bakery term. I over think some stuff but then people ask me where are you located. Then I have to explain I don't have a bakery and some of the light from their eyes is lost... But I hope someday I can afford a private kitchen - I'm working on clients first ;-)

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 24

Q: Where are you located?

A: Right now I run my bakery out of a rented, licensed kitchen facility.  I meet by appointment only and I would be happy to get together with you at Starbucks or (other places you might meet people) to design your cake.

The more confident you are in your answer, the less "eye sparkle" lost.

Moniquea Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 24

Thank you very much cupadee... I needed that reminder.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 24

Custom cake designer?

Moniquea Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 24

I like custom cake designer but it becomes redundant in the blurb. 

Award winning custom cake designer Cake That!  will custom design a cake for you - LOL!

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 24

I call myself a Cake Artist, I think it sounds more professional than cake decorator and I don't need to mention a bakery or where I work ( which is from home ) .

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 11:23pm
post #11 of 24

AI disagree with calling yourself a bakery. When I think of bakery, I think of a brick and mortar building that I can walk into and pick up a loaf of bread and a pie. People here have even expressed frustration with people thinking they have shops, probably because of the word bakery being plastered all over their websites.

AZCouture Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 11:25pm
post #12 of 24

AI prefer cake artist, because I don't copy other cakes, unless they're my original designs, and create a sketch for each client. But overpaid cake lady is probably what the people call me who have a cow when I quote them.

Cake decorator, edible artistry, whatever.

Moniquea Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 10:16pm
post #13 of 24

When I tell them what I do - they all assume I have a brick and mortar or do it out of my house... so neither seems to throw them off.  

So far I like Micro-bakery and Cake Artist - both imply small, above average pricing and a studio.  I like the reply Cupadeecakes gave best - it just sounds so honest and confident.  Also there is no need to explain what a Cake Artist IS... know what I mean?

Thank you all for your help!

Eachna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eachna Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 3:17am
post #14 of 24

Quote:

I like the studio too but I have no studio for them to visit. Its just me and Starbucks icon_smile.gif

I got a caterers permit so I always feel weird about the whole bakery term. I over think some stuff but then people ask me where are you located. Then I have to explain I don't have a bakery and some of the light from their eyes is lost... But I hope someday I can afford a private kitchen - I'm working on clients first icon_wink.gif

You could call yourself a "Cake Caterer"... (or Dessert Caterer). I think most people understand caterers don't have a store-front facility with their food on display.

I also like micro-bakery, but I'd expect muffins and rolls and stuff with that. If you introduced yourself to me at a party, I'd be tempted to ask if you could bake up a dozen croissants.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 24

I say wedding cake designer, cake artist sounds a teensy bit too pretentious for my sensitive ears.

AZCouture Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 7:05pm
post #16 of 24

AWhy? Don't artists who work with non edible mediums refer to themselves as artists as well?

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 7:09pm
post #17 of 24

AAgree.

portrait designer, watercolour designer, clay pot designer........

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 24

I just don't think it sounds right, not because the material is edible but because I make and design wedding cakes. I'm don't think that I make pieces of art.

AZCouture Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 24

AOh ok, so you just personally don't like the term for you, got it.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 8:21pm
post #20 of 24

What I create is art and if that makes me pretentious than so be it.  

BomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BomCakes Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:12pm
post #21 of 24

Confectionery. Fits no matter how large you become and doesn't confine or define :)

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:17pm
post #22 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 

What I create is art and if that makes me pretentious than so be it.  

;-D

AZCouture Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:37pm
post #23 of 24

A

Original message sent by BomCakes

Confectionery. Fits no matter how large you become and doesn't confine or define :)

I like that!

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:56pm
post #24 of 24

Quote:

I like the studio too but I have no studio for them to visit. Its just me and Starbucks icon_smile.gif

I got a caterers permit so I always feel weird about the whole bakery term. I over think some stuff but then people ask me where are you located. Then I have to explain I don't have a bakery and some of the light from their eyes is lost... But I hope someday I can afford a private kitchen - I'm working on clients first icon_wink.gif

Just a thought on the above statement.  I doubt they lose light in their eyes because they think less of you.  It's probably more of a, "What do you mean I can't come visit you and satisfy my intense need for instant gratification with cupcakes, NOW?!"  Because seriously, I work with people like this!  ;)  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%