Chocolate Mousse Help Asap!!

Baking By mezmeriize1212 Updated 6 Mar 2014 , 4:40pm by Claire138

mezmeriize1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezmeriize1212 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 2:38am
post #1 of 5

AI'm making chocolate mousse to be used as a cake filling. I used this recipe by Wilton: http://m.wilton.com/recipes/recipe.cfm?alias=Chocolate-Mousse-Filling

But instead of using egg whites (I wasn't comfortable using raw egg whites) I followed a rule of thumb I read that you can substitute each egg white in a recipe with 2 tsp meringue powder and 2 tbsps water (beaten until soft and wispy). So I followed everything else in the Wilton recipe but my mousse turned out super runny. Way too liquidy to be used as a cake filling. Some suggested refrigerating it to stiffen it up, but I'm concerned that the cake will turn into a gooey mess if it's not in a refrigerator for awhile (which it will have to be). Any way to salvage the mousse??

4 replies
sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 4:24am
post #2 of 5

AYou can make an eggless chocolate mousse by folding melted and cooled chocolate into stiffly whipped cream.

2 Tbl cocoa powder 5 tablespoons boiling water 7 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped fine 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 1/8 tsp table salt

Mix cocoa powder and boiling water together until smooth. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler, then stir in the cocoa powder mixture. Let cool to below 90 degrees. Whip the cream, sugar, and salt on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate in 3 parts. Refrigerate until firm.

mezmeriize1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezmeriize1212 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 4:44am
post #3 of 5

AThanks. Will this mousse hold its shape and consistency if it's out of the refrigerator? Doesn't it need some sort of stabilizer (egg whites, meringue powder, gelatin, etc) so it holds?

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 5

AIt does stay pudding like in consistency. When it's cold, it's firm enough to slice. I use it for a chocolate mousse pie all the time. Refrigerate it first to fully set it up. It's made of chocolate and cream, like a ganache, so it does hold it's consistency like ganache does.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 5

I mix ganache with BC for a mousse like consistency, I use it in the dam as it does not crust but it is delicious. I also add some chocolate chips or nuts or whatever on top. Yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%