minions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minions Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 11

Is buttermilk lumpy? or like do you need to seperate once youve made itat home

10 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 11

AStore bought buttermilk is lumpy. I can't speak for homemade as I've never made it.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 12:51am
post #3 of 11

Store bought is lumpy, and well worth trying. 

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 12:56am
post #4 of 11

Our buttermilk isn't lumpy, unless it is old.  Otherwise, it is just thick.  Anderson Erickson brand.

Liz

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 2:29am
post #5 of 11

AI've never had lumpy buttermilk unless I forgot about it in the back of the fridge for many, many moons.

If you're talking about making a substitute for buttermilk by souring milk with acid or lemon juice, then that will get lumpy. The acid curdles the milk, and it will get more curdled the longer it sits. Just whisk it up a bit before adding to the recipe.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 2:33am
post #6 of 11

AThat's strange because every time I've bought it fresh it's always been thick with some lumps.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 4:18am
post #7 of 11

I have some lowfat stuff right now that is thick with a little bit of lumps.

I have bought full-fat before that is very thick and lumpy and still had a lot of butter bits in it.  Marburger's, I think is the brand here.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 6:12am
post #8 of 11

AI'd never had my homemade buttermilk, (the genuine thing left over from making my own butter), get lumpy. Actually homemade is quite thin.. Commercial, cultured, buttermilk is naturally thick and frequently bits of butter are added to it for appearance's sake. When it gets lumpy, I just pinch the top of the carton tightly and shake vigorously. I also do the same if it has separated. It will be just fine.

minions Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 11

so if i do add lemon to milk it will curdle and become buttermilk right? and normally buttermilk isnt lumpy? sincesome of you guys say it is and others say it isnt im kind of confused? 

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 11

AIt doesn't become actual buttermilk, but the acid of either vinegar or lemon juice causes it to curdle and, for all intents and purposes in can be used interchangeably for buttermilk with no apparent difference in your recipe. As for being lumpy, don't let it cause you any worry. Sometimes it is and some times it isn't. My homemade, left from churning is characteristically thin. If you find it lumpy, simple shake it vigorously and it should smooth out.

minions Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 3:14am
post #11 of 11

OH thank you 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%