Travelling 17 Hours From Vancouver, Canada To California...will The Cake Make It?

Decorating By ponderbabe Updated 13 Feb 2014 , 12:10pm by Crazy-Gray

ponderbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponderbabe Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 6:40am
post #1 of 5

Hi there, I had someone ask me today to make a 1 teir 2 layer buttercream cake for them so that they could take it to california for their boyfriend. I honestly do not think 17 hours is possible but I am just curious if anyone has travelled with a cake for that long, if it lasts and what is a good method to keep it cold? Thank you for everyones help:)

4 replies
RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 8:04am
post #2 of 5

I am taking they are driving down? I would put it into some sort of plastic tub, inside a cooler with ice and ice packs and ensure that the cake is cold from the start I don't see a problem then.

ponderbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponderbabe Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 9:29am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much! I appreciate your reply and advice:) So if the i decorate the cake then put it in the freezer and then pack it into a tub within a cooler with ice packs the cake wouldnt bleed or melt or anything? And yes, she is driving down :)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 9:37am
post #4 of 5

AI don't even understand why there's a question. You're not going to use a perishable filling due to the time factor, its 1 tier so there are no stacking issues. If the cake can travel for 1 hour, it can travel for 17. Just put it in a box, keep it flat and go. IMO, you're overthinking it.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 5

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

I don't even understand why there's a question. You're not going to use a perishable filling due to the time factor, its 1 tier so there are no stacking issues. If the cake can travel for 1 hour, it can travel for 17. Just put it in a box, keep it flat and go. IMO, you're overthinking it.

Absolutely, just tell them not to stick it in front of a heater or something dim like that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%