Setting A Pick-Up/delivery Time

Lounge By as you wish Updated 17 Feb 2014 , 1:22pm by as you wish

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 6

AMaybe I'm just too willing to be flexible. I seem to have this situation happen a lot: Me- What time would you like your cake delivered? (Or pick-up time; it happens either way.) Customer- what time is good for you? Me - I can deliver (or be ready for pick-up) at whatever time works with your event. What time would be best? Customer- Well, the party is at 3:00, so anytime before that. Me - Okay. I will deliver your cake at 2:00. Customer - Actually, it would be better if you had it here earlier. I might have some last-minute running around to do. Can you deliver in the morning? Me - Certainly; what time would you like your cake delivered? Customer - Well, what time works for you?

Ugh! I know I bring this upon myself. I need to just say "Your cake can be delivered at X or Y time." I know it's my own fault and I will change this practice, but good grief! I'm not even exaggerating; this happens! Anyone else get this sort of thing? How do you handle it?

5 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 6

Alol I'm the same and not just with cakes... "what you fancy for dinner?".... "what movie shall we put on"....

I think they actually appreciate it more if you have a bit of pre arranged structure without too much effort for them to choose between: I now offer morning delivery at 10am, lunchtime at 1pm and after work at 6pm (ie on my way home!) and I deliver to home or work, I think that's enough choices.

I don't allow collection as I hate people not turning up!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 6

I don't do this, but I should:

"I am booked for a, b, and c but I have x, y, and z available.  Which would you prefer?"   (Even if you barely have anything going on that day!)

A:  It makes you sound so busy and that you value your time.  Busy can translate to desirable and highly sought after in your craft, which can translate into money!

B:  It lets them know you have a life and can't just wait around for them to show up.

C:  It sounds so darn professional...like you are running a business...which you are!

OK, I just converted myself to be a little more assertive!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 4:38am
post #4 of 6

1. Someone makes a decision.  If they can't, you should.

2. In anything (choice of cake flavor, icing color, what have you), never give them more than 2 choices.

You: What time do you need this delivered?

(Debi's note:  I would ask "What time will the guests start to arrive?")

Them: Oh, whatever works well for you.

You:  I can deliver at 9:30 a.m. or at 2:00 in the afternoon.  Which do you prefer?

I tended to try to deliver one hour prior to the time the guests would start to arrive.  That gives you plenty of time in case you turn into traffic, parking issues, and you are not doing any last minute work with folks milling around.

But if you start using the "only 2 choices at a time" (again .... for EVERYTHING), you'll be amazed at how easy people begin to make decisions.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by indydebi 

1. Someone makes a decision.  If they can't, you should.

2. In anything (choice of cake flavor, icing color, what have you), never give them more than 2 choices.

You: What time do you need this delivered?

(Debi's note:  I would ask "What time will the guests start to arrive?")

Them: Oh, whatever works well for you.

You:  I can deliver at 9:30 a.m. or at 2:00 in the afternoon.  Which do you prefer?

I tended to try to deliver one hour prior to the time the guests would start to arrive.  That gives you plenty of time in case you turn into traffic, parking issues, and you are not doing any last minute work with folks milling around.

But if you start using the "only 2 choices at a time" (again .... for EVERYTHING), you'll be amazed at how easy people begin to make decisions.

Exactly.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 6

AThank you all for your wisdom on this topic. It is nice to know that others have been here, and successfully dealt with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%