How To Recreate Pizza Toppings

Decorating By butterbeanmama Updated 24 Jun 2014 , 12:22am by lillysmimi

butterbeanmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterbeanmama Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 1:12am
post #1 of 10

ADoing a pizza cake. Having trouble deciding what to use to make the different toppings. Had thought I could melt gummy bears then cut out different shapes for the green peppers and onions but a trial of that left a big sticky mess. Any suggestions please? Really don't want to have to use fondant. Thanks!

9 replies
FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 2:06am
post #2 of 10

If you really prefer to go the candy direction, how about cutting up fruit roll-ups in the appropriate colors?  Shaved white chocolate might work for the cheese.  When I've done pizza toppings in the past I've always used fondant.  Easy to color and sculpt to look very realistic.  Personally don't like candy stuck in my cake.  It's a texture thing for me.

Louiselovesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louiselovesbaking Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 10

Not sure on ideas that are not fondant related. I can have a think and if I think of any il let you know, but for the cheese you can freeze fondant and grate it on. Will look like real grated cheese and have the same thickness and length as normal grated cheese.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 10

Deep red icing on the top (or red fondant with some brown mixed in), well refrigerated, covered in warmed up and stirred (so it's easily spread) seedless strawberry preserves makes great sauce!  I used toasted shredded coconut for the cheese.  My pepperoni were cutout fondant circles (deep red.dried on crumpled foil. dusted randomly with cocoa petal dust. lightly splattered with white airbrush paint. very lightly sprayed with PAM for a nice greasy look). 

I'll try to post a pic today....I'm a little behind.

I only did pepperoni and cheese, so I'm not sure about the other items.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 10

I just posted a photo yesterday of a Ninja Turtle cake with a Pizza cake board.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3183667/a/3450664/ninja-turtle-cake/

I did the following:

Colored a slab of fondant (most of a Wilton fondant block.... I like the Wilton for this kind of work because it's stiffer and more rigid than my homemade fondant) = made it a dark beige by adding a little brown and a little orange coloring. I did not add any tylose or gumtex to this because I didn't want it to get so hard that it would crack.

For the crust:  I covered the board by taking log shaped pieces and molding a crust rim around the 16" foam cake board and roughly shaping with my fingers. I patted out a thin layer of this fondant over the rest of the board.

I randomly dabbed "cinnamon" colored petal dust on the edges of the crust.

I sprayed the inside (i.e. NOT the edges) with red air brush color.

For the Pepperoni :  I colored fondant with red/burgundy/brown to get the pepperoni color and added gumtex. I rolled this out not-too-thin and cut out rounds (approx. 2" ?) and laid on slightly-scrunched aluminum foil to dry.

For the cheese:  I colored small pieces of fondant - one yellow, one orange - and added gumtex. I rolled these really thin and then just ran a round pastry cutter wheel back and forth over it, making really thin strands. These rolled and curled as I cut. I just let them lie there and dry a bit - which they did very quickly. Then I scattered the shredded cheese all over the pizza.

For the olives:  I added gumtex to black fondant and cut out circles with an icing tip. Then I punched holes in these using the small end of a #12 icing tip.

I scattered the pepperoni on the pizza and then dabbed brown petal dust randomly over the pieces of pepperoni to make them look less uniform and more realistic.

To finish, scatter the olives on the pizza.

Hope this helps. The pizza was really fun to do and added so much to the cake. It didn't take nearly as long to do as I thought it might. My grandson loved eating the fondant pepperoni, olives, and cheese!

BeesKnees578 Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 10

ycknits...yours is waay better than mine.  I probably would have gone about it differently if it was for a paying customer, but it was for my own kid!

LOVE YOURS!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 10

ycknits:  that's awesome.  Looks Real. 

All I've done is pizza cookies and I bought a pizza toppings chocolate mold and put candy melts in it. (pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers)  You could of course put fondant in the molds also.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 10

Modeling chocolate makes excellent toppings.

lillysmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillysmimi Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 12:22am
post #10 of 10

AI'm making a pizza cake I would like to leave the edges of cake bare but Im afraid Iit will get dry there. Any suggestions like maybe simple syrup recipe or can I glaze it with something yummy to keep it moist. My original plan was fondant then airbrushed but would like it to be easy. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%