Strawberry Cake With Lemon Filling Hellp

Baking By zeus_81280 Updated 7 Feb 2014 , 4:01pm by sadiep

zeus_81280 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zeus_81280 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 3:07am
post #1 of 16

Hello all, I am making a Stawberry cake with some kind of lemon filling (havent figured that out yet) LOL 

My first question is, i have read all the lemon filling advice on this discussion forum, but have not found a recipe that i can use in a cake that will be sitting out for more that 24 hours. I am making a three tier cake for my sisters baby shower.. this cake will at no time be sitting in the fridge because main reason is it will not fit in my fridge but also because i will be covering it with fondant and gumpast flowers.. so anyways im in serouse need for a lemon filling recipe.. i would be open to a store bought one if some one has one that is tried and true... I dont have time to order from a website so it has to be available at some place local like a grocery store or walmart. 

Second question, I was planning on making a huge batch of white chocolate buttercream icing for the crumb coat and filling dams for all three layers (each layer is a different flavor) but I am not sure how a white chocolate icing on a strawberry/lemon cake.. any advice for the crumb/icing dam for this cake.. 

thank you all so much

15 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 3:19am
post #2 of 16

Why don't you add some lemon extract and some lemon zest to your buttercream and use that as you filling?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 4:42am
post #3 of 16

A lemon cake with strawberry jam might be an option. And a lemon buttercream as mentioned above would finish it nicely.  Lemon oil, limoncello, and lemon zest (leave out the zest if you don't want the yellow specks)  added into vanilla swiss meringue buttercream is wonderful!

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 8:09am
post #4 of 16

ALemon curd?

zeus_81280 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 16

yortma- that does sound wonderful. do you have a recipe for the vanilla swiss meringue buttercream....but unfortunately the client has picked a strawberry cake layer with lemon filling she wanted white chocolate buttercream for the whole thing but Im just not sure how that will taste. 

Cupcake maker- I would love to use lemon curd but it has to be refrigerated so that is out.. The cake will not be refrigerated at all.. It will be sitting out for over 24 hours.. thank you

Matt- I was thinking about doing that but the client would really prefer not to have buttercream icing as her filling... I think in her mind she is picturing a curd.. and i have tried to tell her that that wont work with this cake.  thank you

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 16

Google "Eggless Lemon Curd".  It can be left unrefrigerated.  It has the same consistency of regular lemon curd, but no eggs.

zeus_81280 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 16

thank you so much 

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 16

AYou don't need to refridgerate lemon curd!

sadiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiep Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 16

Make or buy lemon marmalade. Can be used straight up or mixed with buttercream. If it is purchased, and too chunky, pulse in food processor. Or if it is too tart, heat briefly with added sugar. Or mix with orange marmalade. If it is not in the jam section of your local grocer, it can usually be found in the British foods section. 

zeus_81280 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 1:51am
post #10 of 16

marmalade never thought of that that might just be the answer im looking for thank you

sadiep Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 5:18am
post #11 of 16

ANo prob. And I think white choc BC would work fine. I use it all the time with lemon cake. Although looking back, I see that you don't use SMBC, and that is what I put it into, so I can't vouch for how white choc works with other frosting types (ABC I'm guessing?) Maybe someone else can help?

zeus_81280 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 16

im sorry i dont understand you apprevations i very new at this...

sadiep Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 16

AOh I'm sorry! Reg abbreviations around here: ABC= American buttercream SMBC= Swiss meringue buttercream IMBC= Italian meringue buttercream

The first is probably what you make? Basically butter, sometimes shortening, beat with powdered sugar, maybe a little liquid.

The other 2 use differing methods, but both start by making a meringue (whipped eggs whites and sugar) then incorporating butter.

SMBC is my go to, and is not hard, and takes many additions very easily (like melted white chocolate)

zeus_81280 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 16

oh lol I get it now, I make the ABC because it because i will not me refrigerating my cake it will be covered in fondant..... so the ABC is the best way to go right

zeus_81280 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 3:36pm
post #15 of 16

oh lol I get it now, I make the ABC because it because i will not me refrigerating my cake it will be covered in fondant..... so the ABC is the best way to go right

sadiep Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 4:01pm
post #16 of 16

You can absolutely leave SMBC, covered in fondant, out overnight, from a safety standpoint. (Although if it's VERY hot where you are, I wouldn't) Many people use this method with every cake. But I will say, you seem to be avoiding the fridge because of the fondant, whereas you CAN refrigerate a fondant covered cake. You will find 1000 threads on here debating this issue - I can only personally say I have done both and they both worked fine. 

I would just make whatever BC you are comfortable with - for me SMBC is by far the most foolproof and tasty - but if you have never made it just go with ABC (i have never made it so I can't help you there).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%