Can I Make A Fondant Covered Cake With Fondant Decorations On A Fresh Cream Pastry?

Decorating By AshwiniUS Updated 20 Jan 2014 , 3:17pm by AshwiniUS

AshwiniUS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshwiniUS Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 9:56am
post #1 of 6

Hi, I want to bake this 3 tiered wedding cake for a friend, with Fondant flowers and decoration.. I have not made a stacked cake before. So i am worried if i can Stack and decorate Fresh cream pastries? Will the cake be able to withstand the weight of the fondant or will it collapse upon stacking? Please Give your suggestions. Thankyou for your time :)

5 replies
810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure what you mean by fresh cream pastries??? Do you mean Choux or Puff with fresh cream, if so they would have to stay refrigerated and I can't see how you would work on the cake and not have the cream go off, or do fresh cream pastries mean something different where you are?

AshwiniUS Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 6

Aby fresh cream pastries i mean any flavoured cake with whipped cream and/or fruit crush filling with whipped cream frosting.. without any use of buttercream or any other frosting.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 6

Most likely won't work.  

But the real problem is that HAS to be refrigerated.  Once the cream and crushed fruit goes on the cake, start your timer -  assembly time + decorating time + transport time + display time.  Once that reaches four hours you have to throw it out.

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 6

AHi AshwiniUS,

Without trying to sound condescending, are you sure you want to go with this idea being that you have never attempted a stacked cake before? Not even a 2 tiered one? - It is a wedding, it all has to be perfect.

What kind of cake will you be using? Is it dense? Or a light sponge? How is the design like? How much time do you have? - I suggest reading the Sticky post for the SPS system to stack cakes.

Given that you want to use whipped cream, you would have to stabilize it first, either with gelatin, or not using dairy cream at all but vegetable cream. Woodland Bakery has a tutorial about this on Youtube.

Now, to prevent this kind of filling from oozing out your cake and damage your fondant (Yes, also the fruit one), you must use a dam technique. Basically, you pipe a ring of either thick buttercream or ganache around the layer you're filling, and then add your filling inside this ring (but not too much!). The weight of the next layers will make this ring expand to the borders of the cake without letting the filling out. Then you must ice the whole cake with a crumbcoat and a final coat of the same thick icing you used for the rings, before covering it with fondant. You can find some tutorials about this on Youtube, or books, or maybe searching here in the forums.

Try to roll your fondant on the thin side so it doesn't weight it down so much, and practice, practice, practice.

AshwiniUS Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 6

wow :) Thankyou so much for all your suggestions :) i just realized i didnt think it through so much. well i shall really get started with the planning then. i ll put up a pic once the cake comes out well :)  Thanks again :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%