Please Help!!!!!!

Decorating By bilbo Updated 18 Jan 2014 , 10:43pm by SystemMod1

bilbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 12:41am
post #1 of 54

I'm mostly a hobby baker but I couldn't turn down a order for a tornado cake. I didn't think it would be very hard because there wouldn't be much cutting to get a tornado shape. I filled and stacked all my cakes and now it is LEANING. Not just a little, but a lot. I stuck it in the fridge, but what do I do? I stuck and extra stick (don;'t know the name of those things) into the side at an angle to see if it would balance but it didn't help. They're picking it up tomorrow morning but now I don't know what to charge since it's leaning.  I already had to go by more frosting, I can't start over, gonna cry! PLEASE HELP fix it!!!!

53 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 12:45am
post #2 of 54

Did you use any structural supports?  How many layers/ how tall is it?

bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 12:47am
post #3 of 54

I stuck the stick in the side and there's another stick from top to bottom. It's 6 pans tall. 

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 12:56am
post #4 of 54

And did you just stack the cakes on top of each other, or do you have dowels (sticks) and cardboard cake circles for support every 4" high?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:15am
post #5 of 54

AWhat kind of frosting are you using on it? You mentioned going out and buying more.

Can you take a picture and post it, we could help you out easier if we saw it.

A wooden dowel (your stick) can't just be stuck in. You need cake boards in between every few layers and several dowels (depending on the size) to support the board and cake on top-this is your internal structure.

If it is leaning now there is no way they will make it far without it falling over. The cold will make it firm and perhaps appear more stable but this is like a bandaid you need to unstack add support then restack and ice. Don't use canned frosting from the grocery store, it's too thick.

You said it is 6 pans high, do you mean 6 inches? Pan heights can vary, so how tall in inches approx?

OMGOMG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGOMG Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:22am
post #6 of 54

You can just stick it in the frige and get it really hard. If it falls over in the car onece it dethaws, that is there problem. 

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:32am
post #7 of 54

A

Original message sent by OMGOMG

You can just stick it in the frige and get it really hard. If it falls over in the car onece it dethaws, that is there problem. 

Really?!?! If its not setup properly in the first place it's not a matter of if it falls but when it falls. If you promise something to a customer and can't provide it then it is completely on the decorator not to mention a terrible way to do business!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:33am
post #8 of 54

Omg, OMG. Bad customer service advice, right there. Stabilize it BEFORE it goes to the customer.

leilossweetshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leilossweetshop Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:33am
post #9 of 54

ALol smh.... why would u sell a cake to a customer knowing that it would possibly fall apart... you do realize that is your name and if the cake falls apart that will be your reputation.... I agree with smckinney that you need to unstack and restack the right way with adequate support.

bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:43am
post #10 of 54

I used the good canned frosting, how do I upload pictures? It seems fine now, it harden up a little, it's still sticky, will it get hard?? I need to finish decorating it but I think everyhing will fall off if it's still sticky. :(

bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:45am
post #11 of 54

I measured my pans, their 2 inches tall, 6 of those stacked up. I did use dowels (yay!! I know the name for the sticks now!!!) and cardboard.

OMGOMG Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:45am
post #12 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbo 

I used the good canned frosting, how do I upload pictures? It seems fine now, it harden up a little, it's still sticky, will it get hard?? I need to finish decorating it but I think everyhing will fall off if it's still sticky. :(

there is no need to use the good canned frosting. Walmarts has a brand that taste just as good if not better and you can save a quarter. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:47am
post #13 of 54

AYou didn't spend ANY of the money they paid you for this yet, right?

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:48am
post #14 of 54

A

Original message sent by OMGOMG

there is no need to use the good canned frosting. Walmarts has a brand that taste just as good if not better and you can save a quarter. 

Seriously reading your posts I'm literally saying OMGOMG!!!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:52am
post #15 of 54

How many servings? How much are you charging?

bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:52am
post #16 of 54

I didn't know what to charge so I told them they could tell me how much they want to pay me when they pick it up. They're nice, so they won't be cheap at give me only a couple dollars. I'm not a bakery so I didn't want to tell them too much.

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:56am
post #17 of 54

AAZ-She said she didn't know what to charge since its leaning

Bilbo-You mentioned sticking a dowel in sideways, that needs to go. It's firm now because it's in the fridge but once it starts defrosting you will be right back where you started with a leaning cake. Are your cakes level? Are your dowels cut to the same size? Something is wrong with your structure, you really need to fix that before you do anything else.

OMG-Are you joking? You just posted asking for help with pricing.

Again, canned frosting is not something you should use for stacked/custom cakes. The consistency is terrible (banging my head against the wall)

MimiFix Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 1:59am
post #18 of 54

Jason Kraft has a good article about pricing. Read it before accepting more orders!

bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 2:15am
post #19 of 54

Why is canned frosting not good?  If I take the sideways dowl out, won't it lean more? What if it falls over? The cakes aren't level because it's supposed to look like a tornado and tornados aren't perfect. :( I don't know what to do if it defrosts. Would it work if I freeze it before I give it to them? It wouldn't thaw out until they got home and I could tell them to put it in the fridge too.

bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 2:15am
post #20 of 54

Who is Jason Kraft?

OMGOMG Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 2:30am
post #21 of 54

Quote:

Why is canned frosting not good?  If I take the sideways dowl out, won't it lean more? What if it falls over? The cakes aren't level because it's supposed to look like a tornado and tornados aren't perfect. :( I don't know what to do if it defrosts. Would it work if I freeze it before I give it to them? It wouldn't thaw out until they got home and I could tell them to put it in the fridge too.

Dont lissen to the h8ers! canned frosting is the bast, it isn't gritty like in the bakery. Walmarts is the gritties, the BiLo bakery has frosting that is smooth but the Food Lion bakery is the yummiest. I wish they would sell me a bucket but they say no cause they don't want the competion. 

bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 2:42am
post #22 of 54

I still don't know what to do!! No one answered -- will freezing work??????

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 2:57am
post #23 of 54

Yes, freezing will work. I would get some holy water to sprinkle on it though, just in case.

MimiFix Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 2:57am
post #24 of 54
Quote:

... will freezing work??????

I wouldn't ordinarily suggest this, but since you are desperate, I recommend that you freeze the cake and tomorrow tell your customer there's no charge. Apologize for the inconvenience. And don't take another order until after you have mastered the art of cakes. 

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 3:00am
post #25 of 54

Ait needs to be served at room temp, freezing it won't help.

I understand it needs to be carved a bit to look like a tornado but it still needs proper support. You can't stack cake layers that aren't level and expect it not to lean. Topsy turvy cakes are carved to give the illusion of that funky shape. If your cake can't be held up then you need to build a structure to properly support the weight (obviously you don't have time for that).

Canned frosting is very thick, you want a nice, creamy icing or you can tear your cake.

The previous comments explained you need to level and restack your cake. It's only going to be cold for so long, then its going to settle and thaw, you don't want your customers to put it out and have it topple over.

How will they move it with the sideways dowel and keep it in place? They might not have room in their fridge.

bilbo Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 3:11am
post #26 of 54

I don't know why spome of you are being so mean. I'm NOT a bakery, I usually just do this for fun and was trying to help out people who can't afford a really expensive cake. Not everybody has alot of money to spend on a cake and I'm trying to help those people out and make some extra money too. Why can't you serve cold cake?

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 3:28am
post #27 of 54

AI'm not trying to be mean! I'm trying to help you avoid a falling cake.

The cake is supposed to be a certerpiece (or showpiece if you will) thats why on occasion people are willing to spend that extra money on something special, so naturally it's going to be displayed which will result in it thawing on its own. But serving cake at room temp is supposed to maximize flavor.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 3:37am
post #28 of 54

I have read everyone's response and no was has been mean to you at all.  They are giving you their professional advise, if you don't want to take that advise then that is up to you.  Of course everyone can't afford an expensive cake, I would love a Bentley but I doubt a dealership will give one to me just because I can't afford it.  Cakes take a lot of time to make each one and our time is just as valuable as the people buying that cake. 

Several people have already told you the problem, which is your structure.  Cakes HAVE to be level regardless of what shape they are.  I do topsy turvy cakes all the time but just because they look like they are leaning does not mean they don't have a good support system.  Also, since it is a tornado, I would assume it is smaller on the bottom then the top correct?  Without a good structure this could also be a problem. 

Canned frosting is never a good idea with any cake you are selling especially shaped cakes.  I personally think they taste really gross (except chocolate fudge but I'm totally a chocoholic).  They are all artificial ingredient and not good quality.  I mean grocery stores use this type of icing and they don't sell quality cakes as all.  Their icing comes in these big buckets that has ingredients in them you probably can't pronounce. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 3:40am
post #29 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

I have read everyone's response and no was has been mean to you at all. 

Apparently I was too subtle then.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 3:43am
post #30 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Apparently I was too subtle then.

;-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%