How Much Should I Charge For My Homemade Cakes

Business By cakesbycheka Updated 28 Jan 2014 , 12:51am by NetworkZombie

cakesbycheka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycheka Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 41

AHow much should I charge for my homemade fondant cakes? Im still fairly new at making cakes I started back in August. I sold one cake and I feel like I under priced. I make everything homemade from the cake its self to the fondant. Most of my cakes are just one tier but I've been asked to make two & even 3 tiered cakes. How much should I charge for a single tier, 2 & 3 tiers? Also how much should I sale my cupcakes. Ughh! Honestly didn't pricing would be that hard.

Cakes that I've done.

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3169185/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

My fav [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3169186/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

First cake I ever did

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3169187/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

40 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 41

ACheck out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below. You may also want to read the Copyright Law article (since you need permission in order to legally reproduce copyrighted characters) and make sure you are following licensing and food safety laws in your area.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 41

AIf you're selling, I'd like to suggest that you present your cakes a little nicer than that, customers deserve a nice looking cake, no matter what they're paying. The silver drum in the top picture is great, but maybe cover your board in coordinating fondant, and wrap a ribbon around the edge. You definitely don't want to give a customer a cake on an unfinished cardboard like that minion is sitting on, nor aluminum foil like the middle photo. Presentation is very important, it adds value to your product and just plain looks nicer.

Kattyson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kattyson Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 41

AVery good for someone who just started a few months ago. Practice makes perfect.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

If you're selling, I'd like to suggest that you present your cakes a little nicer than that, customers deserve a nice looking cake, no matter what they're paying. The silver drum in the top picture is great, but maybe cover your board in coordinating fondant, and wrap a ribbon around the edge. You definitely don't want to give a customer a cake on an unfinished cardboard like that minion is sitting on, nor aluminum foil like the middle photo. Presentation is very important, it adds value to your product and just plain looks nicer.

AZ is right. These are some of the details that separate high quality professional cakes from mediocre homemade cakes sold on Facebook, craigslist, etc. If you want to stand out, strive for these types of details.

kopetskik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kopetskik Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Check out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below. You may also want to read the Copyright Law article (since you need permission in order to legally reproduce copyrighted characters) and make sure you are following licensing and food safety laws in your area.

I just created this about a week ago and although I'm excellent at wasting my time on social media.. I can't figure out what you mean by the "link in my signature below." Can someone PUH-LEEZ help a girl out? Thanks!

KK

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 41

Many of the links on this site are no longer working because members have moved on. If you want to know about pricing or copyright, please use the search function before asking the same questions that have been asked far too many times. Welcome to CC and good luck! 

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by kopetskik 

I just created this about a week ago and although I'm excellent at wasting my time on social media.. I can't figure out what you mean by the "link in my signature below." Can someone PUH-LEEZ help a girl out? Thanks!

KK

I believe the pricing link in Jason's signature line was removed by moderators possibly having something to do with the reason he was banned.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 41

Jason was banned? Why? (how did I miss that?)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 41

AYeah - I wanna know why!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 41

ALol me too!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

Jason was banned? Why? (how did I miss that?)

According to Heath...

http://cakecentral.com/t/767522/ummm-i-almost-hate-to-ask

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 41

I'd like to know as well.  Jason isn't really prone to the kind of posting that would get one banned.  I've certainly never even seen him answer a post with any emotional attachment - just the facts.  Seems odd.

Liz

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 41

OMG I can't believe he got banned. I know he did not get along with a lot of people but never did anything I saw that could get him banned.  I really want to know now why he did.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 41

Wow, I can't believe it. He was always so helpful, who's feathers has he ruffled? I agree with the other posts, he never seemed to post anything that would indicate he had crossed a line - I've read stuff on here way more 'bannable - (I know that's not really a word but it's getting late and I can't think of the proper word, excommunicable?)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 41

i miss jason -- of course i don't know what happened but i know he was not appreciated by a certain relentless group on here--he has a certain kind of personality that didn't mesh with some of them and they never let him forget it--hopefully he'll be back

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 9:36pm
post #17 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i miss jason

ditto

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 9:50pm
post #18 of 41

A[quote name="-K8memphis" url="/t/767280/how-much-should-i-charge-for-my-homemade-cakes/15#post_7479982"]i miss jason --

Ditto

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 10:14pm
post #19 of 41

AI can't believe he was banned. He always had a lot of helpful information.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 10:15pm
post #20 of 41

Well I hope he's hanging out with batterupcake because she hasn´t been around for ages and I see some of her posts have been deleted (people quote her posts in threads but there is no post in there - seen it a couple of times)...very mysterious. I'm not sure why either of them would be banned but I hope they are allowed back soon.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 11:43pm
post #21 of 41

I wonder if we asked why if we would get banned too?

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 11:45pm
post #22 of 41

So Jason is banned... but little Miss Helen is still posting huh?

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 12:01am
post #23 of 41

AI think it was something to do with his remark on a thread about the magazine. He said what many of us were thinking ... That instead of addressing the issue in question, cc would shut down and delete the thread. sure enough, it happened.

What an autocratic way to run a public forum and a business.

What a silly move.

Banning someone who had so much to contribute to the community.

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 1:00am
post #24 of 41

AIs that why I haven't gotten an answer to why I haven't received the January issue yet. I guess I'll be banned to.

liz at sugar Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 1:54am
post #25 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by karennayak 

I think it was something to do with his remark on a thread about the magazine. He said what many of us were thinking ... That instead of addressing the issue in question, cc would shut down and delete the thread. sure enough, it happened.

What an autocratic way to run a public forum and a business.

What a silly move.

Banning someone who had so much to contribute to the community.

I agree that this probably had something to do with him being banned.

I guess the kitchen at CC just isn't big enough for more than a few resident "experts", and those who had a little power found a way to delete him from the community.  It is really too bad that the adults here can't act more like adults.  Banishing someone like Jason who had expertise in both GF baking and the business side was a really childish move on someone's part.  But it is their sandbox, and they can do as they wish.

Liz

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 2:05am
post #26 of 41

And I expect to be the next to be banned.

I think Jason deserves our support. He has amazing knowledge and has shared it freely. I have watched over the months how he has been bashed and berated, but he never let it bother him. He continued to do what he was good at ... educate people on the business side of caking.

I am not a business owner, but I will truly miss his posts.

No one on CC has the kind of knowledge or background he has.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 2:09am
post #27 of 41

A

Original message sent by Dayti

Well I hope he's hanging out with batterupcake because she hasn´t been around for ages and I see some of her posts have been deleted (people quote her posts in threads but there is no post in there - seen it a couple of times)...very mysterious. I'm not sure why either of them would be banned but I hope they are allowed back soon.

BatterUp is famous now girl, lol. Her stands took off! I was wondering about her too and went to her website to order some stuff and saw her stands have been featured everywhere! So happy for her

morganchampagne Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 2:10am
post #28 of 41

AAnd yes, sad about Jason. I enjoyed his business advice.

liz at sugar Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 2:16am
post #29 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

BatterUp is famous now girl, lol. Her stands took off! I was wondering about her too and went to her website to order some stuff and saw her stands have been featured everywhere! So happy for her

What is BatterUp's website address?  Can't find it in her signature line anymore.

Thanks,

Liz

morganchampagne Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 2:19am
post #30 of 41

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%