How Do You Determine Size Of Cake Based On Customer Serving Needs?

Business By justmikey Updated 15 Jan 2014 , 11:56pm by howsweet

justmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justmikey Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 8

ASo I'm curious how others determine what size cake to make when customers request a specific serving size.

I have several orders coming up where a customer has requested a cake for 20 people and I frequently debate whether I should bake a larger cake or a smaller cake (party slice vs. Wedding slice).

Do you give the customer the options between the two (quote cost) or do you just automatically just make the smallest or largest cake that could accommodate the serving requested?

Also, do you have a minimum when it comes to the serving size of the cake you will make?

Thanks!

Mikey

7 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 8

I give them the option.  So for example if they want 20 servings I tell them I can make an 8" round, which serves 15-20 or a 9" round which serves around 25.  I let them make the decision on if they want just enough cake or maybe go a little bigger to make sure they have enough, especially since people tend to cut cake slices the size of what you get when you go to Cheesecake Factory.  Most "cake Muggles" don't have any idea what size to cut slices.

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 8

Cake Muggles. 

I love that.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 8

I have a template thingy-ma-bob that shows the size of my servings. I show it to every client, if they want more, they can order more.

I don't have a serving minimum, but I have a price minimum. If someone want 1 cupcake, they can have it, but it's going to be one heck of an expensive one :)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 8

So funny! My computer only showed this part: how do you determine size of cake based on customer. lol

To answer your question, I give them options and explain how big a serving size is and that a cake has to be cut expertly to get that number of servings.  I explain that a serving is 1x2x4.

So if they want 24 servings and are thinking about an 8 inch, 24 serving cake, I will send them a cutting diagram and suggest they may want to consider a larger cake if they literally need 24 servings. In my experience, they don't usually need that suggestion, but say it just in case.

I have a $150 minimum

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

So funny! My computer only showed this part: how do you determine size of cake based on customer. lol

hahaha, can you imagine the threads on CC if that was how bakers did servings!

justmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justmikey Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 8

Ahahaha! Love it! "Cake Muggles" and "cake size based on customer" lol

Thanks for all the help everyone. This is what I was expecting to see as responses ;)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

hahaha, can you imagine the threads on CC if that was how bakers did servings!

Hahahaha! :lol: It could get pretty interesting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%