Decorating A Cake With Whipped Cream Frosting

Decorating By BakedbyMamaD Updated 27 Jan 2014 , 12:14am by dirtycakes

BakedbyMamaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyMamaD Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:20am
post #1 of 9

Hello:

I have never really decorated a cake with whipped cream frosting.  I've decorated them with fresh fruit, or with some whipped cream embellishments, but never with any fondant or gum paste decorations.  I have a small bride and groom cake to do for my son's wedding, and he wants a Cassatta Cake, which has whipped cream frosting.  I would love any advice that anyone has on decorating a cake with whipped cream frosting.  Thank you!

8 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:38am
post #2 of 9

well it's going to have to be refrigerated. not just because of the whipped cream, but because of the ricotta cheese. 

what you want to make is a stabilized whipped cream, which includes gelatin to hold it together. 

i like rose levey beranbaums recipe, which is in "the cake bible."

BakedbyMamaD Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 9

AHello - thank you for your feedback. This is not the first Cassatta Cake I've made, so I already know about the refrigeration and the stabilized whipped cream. I am really looking more for feedback on what kind of media can be used on the whipped cream frosting, as I know it is not as sturdy as buttercream. I am going to check out that stabilized whipped cream recipe you suggested - the one I have is OK, but I don't love it. Thank you!

lorillc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorillc Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 9

Good morning, I'm not sure what your going to do with the fondant and gum paste, but I have to warn you.  If your putting fondant decorations on the side of the cake the decorations will slide a little.  I usually prop mine with tooth picks.  (Don't forget to tell the person where you used tooth picks)

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 9

AHave you tried your hand at piping? If the cream is stable enough you could practice with different piping tips (star tips, petal tips) to see what you can get, or look for a chart with the different results and methods. You could make ruffles on the sides, or the borders, rosettes, swirls, even flowers

I think the Whipped Cream and fresh strawberries contrast always looks stunning :)

Im not sure if Whipped Cream can be stenciled.

BakedbyMamaD Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 9

AExcellent point! Although it should be common sense, I probably would have learned it the hard way. Since it is just a small bride and groom cake (they are having cupcakes, so this is just for them to put their topper on and cut), I will probably do something simple like ribbon around the bottom of the cake, and some gum paste flowers on top around the topper. I tend to over complicate things, so I think if I keeping it simple would be a good rule to follow.

BakedbyMamaD Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 9

AYeah, piping would be a good option too. Or, I was wondering if the little candy pearls would stick well, but probably too risky. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 9

You could also try using Rich's Whip topping or Bettercreme.

dirtycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dirtycakes Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 12:14am
post #9 of 9

ASorry to interject on an unrelated note, but what in the world is this from "Miss Helen"? I had to ask, for the last few days I've been recieving this thing as a private message to my profile. Ha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%