Help! I Need Advice For An Unhappy Customer (Edible Icing Sheet)

Business By Louise1980 Updated 16 Jan 2014 , 12:44am by -K8memphis

Kattyson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kattyson Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 4:02am
post #31 of 94

AWhen that happens popping it in the freezer works!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 5:49am
post #32 of 94

AAre you selling EIs of copyrighted images?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 6:06am
post #33 of 94

I would believe it wouldn't come off because of the sheer amount of ink on it, that black black would soak the sheet and turn it to goop. Especially KopyKake, who I believe has an inferior product.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 12:28pm
post #34 of 94

A

Original message sent by Godot

Are you selling EIs of copyrighted images?

Uh oh, good point. You can't sell those unless you have a license from the copyright holder. Better take those off of your facebook page and stop selling anything that's not licensed.

Louise1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louise1980 Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 10:29pm
post #35 of 94

I make sure anything I print is free of copyright protection, and I mostly just print what the customer gives me, I definitely don't print anything from Disney as most of them are all copyrighted. I have sold one but that was a clipart vector picture so graphic designers can add it to their images. I might start sending emails to companies asking if they have any images I may use though, awesome idea. 

Annabakescakes I had another lady buy exactly the same image and hers came of easy as you can see in the photos, it must of just been the humidity. This is the first time I have had a customer say they couldn't get the sheet off (and it was over 40 degrees the day she had to use it)

I might start emailing companies today and see if I am allowed to use their posters for edible images.....omg my brain is going mad with ideas now haha thanks again everyone for your replies :D

costumeczar Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:41pm
post #36 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louise1980 

I make sure anything I print is free of copyright protection, and I mostly just print what the customer gives me, I definitely don't print anything from Disney as most of them are all copyrighted. I have sold one but that was a clipart vector picture so graphic designers can add it to their images. I might start sending emails to companies asking if they have any images I may use though, awesome idea.

Annabakescakes I had another lady buy exactly the same image and hers came of easy as you can see in the photos, it must of just been the humidity. This is the first time I have had a customer say they couldn't get the sheet off (and it was over 40 degrees the day she had to use it)

I might start emailing companies today and see if I am allowed to use their posters for edible images.....omg my brain is going mad with ideas now haha thanks again everyone for your replies :D

I hate to tell you, but any images that show scenes or people from tv shows are copyright protected and you can't sell them unless you have a license from the owner, which would usually be the production company. If a customer takes a picture of their kid and hands it to you that's fine, but if they print something off of the internet it's not. If they use a professional studio portrait, or even a photo taken by a professional photographer, they might not even own the copyright, which is why they have policies about taking your kid's school picture to Walmart and making copies. They can't do that legally so most places won't make copies of professional portraits.

One of my friends bought a painting from an artist to give to a friend of hers. She liked it and took a picture of it to post on her facebook page, then she started wondering about whether that was legal. Turns out that unless the artist gives you written copyright consent, you can't even do that legally and they could sue you for copyright infringement even if you paid them to do the painting. The artist owns the rights to the image and unless you have written consent you can't reproduce it. It's unlikely that someone would, but legally they could.

Unless you have written permission from the copyright holder, you can't legally reproduce and sell images of tv shows, CD covers, magazines, team logos, school logos, etc etc.

Louise1980 Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:54pm
post #37 of 94

well how do I know if its copyrighted or not if I am asked to print an image from a customer? I know about the TM mark next to the picture? I always make sure I don't sell anything with a TM or any watermark on there, I was just looking through Facebook and there are loads of people on there with disney pictures and tv shows all with a TM next to their pics (some of these people aren't very desirable looking either so I bet they haven't asked for permission) I have just sent off a load of emails to companies requesting permission for any pictures or logos they will let me use so we will see what they say.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:06am
post #38 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

Seriously. There is no more natural selection and people have gotten more stupid over the centuries. It will be the downfall of mankind.

When they started regulating "safety" such as child helmets and seatbelts it allowed the stupid to reproduce. lol

Quote:

well how do I know if its copyrighted or not if I am asked to print an image from a customer? I know about the TM mark next to the picture? I always make sure I don't sell anything with a TM or any watermark on there, I was just looking through Facebook and there are loads of people on there with disney pictures and tv shows all with a TM next to their pics (some of these people aren't very desirable looking either so I bet they haven't asked for permission) I have just sent off a load of emails to companies requesting permission for any pictures or logos they will let me use so we will see what they say.

Many people on the internet break the law. You of course can do as you choose but it's a safe bet if you did not design it or it is not an original work created by the person ordering it then it is copyrighted. You can print a background and have the customer purchase a licensed toy to complete the scene.....Of course I am not a lawyer, but you can look up the First Use Doctrine and come to your own conclusion.

chefhvs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefhvs Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:10am
post #39 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristin S 

I put my edible image sheets in the freezer for about 10 seconds - comes right off every time

This always works for me as well...

Louise1980 Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:44am
post #40 of 94

ok I have gone through my whole page and deleted any photos that are of media content. I am going to put up a post on my wall that says ;Hi everyone! Just wanted to let you know that Ice Yourself is currently in the process of purchasing licences for media content images. I am able to print any photo's that are supplied from the customer providing it is their own photo supplied. 

what do you think? At least now I shouldn't get into any trouble. I had a response from Universal Pictures (because I want to be able to print some Despicable Me posters) and they provided me with an email to purchase a licence yay! So am now waiting to hear back from a couple of network companies also to see if I can buy any licences through them, thank you so much everyone for your help its soooo appreciated!

hahaha BatterUpCake - When they started regulating "safety" such as child helmets and seatbelts it allowed the stupid to reproduce. lol HAHAHA lost it laughing when I read what you wrote! 

In my list of instructions it does say on there about using the freezer method as well. If you can think of a method to removing an image, I have it in my instructions. I guess people just don't read or don't want to know hahaha :)  thanks again everyone! :grin:

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:47am
post #41 of 94

best of luck to you....Getting permissions are difficult. But many companies have their own images that you could probably buy for resale.

Louise1980 Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:51am
post #42 of 94

awesome thanks BatterUpCake :grin:

costumeczar Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 1:10am
post #43 of 94

Basically, if they you didn't design the character, logo, label, design etc yourself, you can't use it without permission. You're going about getting the licenses the right way. Some companies will give you a flat out no, some will say that you can apply for a license. Some licenses are going to be so expensive you won't be able to afford them. Some places will say that you can do a limited number per year without a license but you can't use their images or logos in any advertising or public website.

I have permission from a few pro football teams and college to use their logos, but I recently wrote to the Atlanta Braves and they said they don't allow it, you have to go throught he major league baseball site to get licensing permission. Baseball teams are more difficult than others in my experience.

I've also gotten permission from a few different food companies and alcohol companies to use their logos on cakes (old bay, captain morgan etc) but then others have said no. You just have to ask on a case by case basis unless you have bought the license.

Louise1980 Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 1:24am
post #44 of 94

I have an image on my page of Peppa Pig and I added some birthday stickers to it, I should really take it down then shouldn't I? I created the picture myself but it has Peppa Pig on there, what do you think?

BatterUpCake Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 1:45am
post #45 of 94

take it down

Louise1980 Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 2:07am
post #46 of 94

yep I took it down anyway to be safe :) thanks again for everyone's advice and help its much appreciated. It really annoys me that there are people on the internet just doing what they like and printing what they like. It some ways it sucks being responsible and proper but then I am glad I am or I would be in trouble. I've just seen about three different pages saying, you want an image, we will print it. I pretended to be a customer and private messaged a lady asking if she could print a disney photo, she said no worries. I said what about copyright and she said doesn't matter. I told her I would get back to her bahaha hope she gets in trouble!

costumeczar Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 2:15am
post #47 of 94

Quote:

yep I took it down anyway to be safe :) thanks again for everyone's advice and help its much appreciated. It really annoys me that there are people on the internet just doing what they like and printing what they like. It some ways it sucks being responsible and proper but then I am glad I am or I would be in trouble. I've just seen about three different pages saying, you want an image, we will print it. I pretended to be a customer and private messaged a lady asking if she could print a disney photo, she said no worries. I said what about copyright and she said doesn't matter. I told her I would get back to her bahaha hope she gets in trouble!

I bet Disney thinks it matters! They have attorneys who send people messages like that to see what answers they get, then they slam them with a cease and desist.

Louise1980 Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 2:19am
post #48 of 94

ooooh lucky I took all my pictures down then! Hahaha hope she gets slammed!

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 6:20pm
post #49 of 94

I saw a website selling EI's that said the following.  Apparently there are no images on their Edible Images, it is only in your imagination!  That copyrighted image you see is not really there...

"PLEASE NOTE - We are selling the fondant/wafer sheets and the time it takes us to process an order. We are only changing the pictures as a favor to our customers.  We DO NOT SELL the characters or images, nor do we claim any of the ownership or licensing over them. We also personalize each order, so therefore, they are for personal use only and NOT for resale!  According to copyright laws, they're only permitted for personal, one-time at-home use only."

Uhhh..."for personal use only and NOT for resale"   Helloooo, YOU ARE SELLING them! 

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 7:48pm
post #50 of 94

APeople will do/say anything to justify their behaviour. I'd be tempted to sic the Disney legal department on them. Their "explanation" (excuse?) won't hold any water.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 8:04pm
post #51 of 94

A

Original message sent by Godot

People will do/say anything to justify their behaviour. I'd be tempted to sic the Disney legal department on them. Their "explanation" (excuse?) won't hold any water.

Done.

http://www.gofrostyourselfedibleimages.com/faq.html

costumeczar Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 9:30pm
post #52 of 94

Wow, that's nervy. And stupid. Do they really think that will eliminate any responsibility they have for licensing? It's almost comical.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 9:58pm
post #53 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

People will do/say anything to justify their behaviour. I'd be tempted to sic the Disney legal department on them. Their "explanation" (excuse?) won't hold any water.

Done.

http://www.gofrostyourselfedibleimages.com/faq.html

what's done?

jason_kraft Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:03pm
post #54 of 94
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:08pm
post #55 of 94

so you turned them in?

jason_kraft Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:11pm
post #56 of 94

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

so you turned them in?

Yep, I notified Disney of suspected copyright infringement. Normally I wouldn't bother, but they were tempting fate with their rationalization.

The notification process is confidential, so the suspected infringer doesn't know who turned them in, nor does the person who turned them in get any additional info about what happened to the suspected infringer.

Louise1980 Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:22pm
post #57 of 94

hahahahaha hope they get caught! Its not fair on people like me who try and do the right thing! Well done Jason_Kraft!

jason_kraft Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:28pm
post #58 of 94

AIf more people report them it is more likely something will be done about it. Just sayin'.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:29pm
post #59 of 94

Quote:

hahahahaha hope they get caught! Its not fair on people like me who try and do the right thing! Well done Jason_Kraft!

you have disney on your fb page and state that you made it for your first customer

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:31pm
post #60 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

so you turned them in?

Yep, I notified Disney of suspected copyright infringement. Normally I wouldn't bother, but they were tempting fate with their rationalization.

The notification process is confidential, so the suspected infringer doesn't know who turned them in, nor does the person who turned them in get any additional info about what happened to the suspected infringer.

yeah except for you posting on the world wide web that you did it--so much for confidentiality

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%