Need Advice On Some Piping If Poss Please :) Pic Attached!

Decorating By Lea17 Updated 5 Jan 2014 , 12:31pm by Lea17

Lea17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lea17 Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 12:29am
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to have a go at re-creating the piping detail in the pic below from this absolutely stunning wedding cake!  I've done piping before, but it's been more delicate looking, with a small hole nozzle, however this type of piping looks a lot bigger and not so delicate lol ..... would anyone know what size or number nozzle it was and maybe if there's a special technique for it??  The cake isn't needed until next year so plenty of time to practice, I just wanted to ask others and delve into it more before I say a definite yes and quote for it!

Thanks for any advice given :)

4 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 1:12am
post #2 of 5

ASome of that is piped & over piped. Id say a combo of tips ranging 3-6.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 1:26am
post #3 of 5

I always find it first depends upon the size of YOUR cake not what the photo looks like. If your version is smaller, like a 10, 8, 6, 4 you'd probably use a #2 tip.  But if your cake is 14, 12, 10, 8 a #3 or #4 would be about right.

Also it depends on how heavy of a squeezer you are. I keep thinking I need a #3 for detail and every time I use it, it looks really heavy because I'm using a lot of pressure to increase my speed. I can use a #2 tip and get those heavier details in your photo.

..........and it definite has over piping like DD mentioned....

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 1:43am
post #4 of 5

Lea17 that cake is stunning, I peeked at her website and was amazed.

Lea17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lea17 Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 5

ABeautiful isnt it Enga!

Thank you all for your advice! The size cakes she has requested at the mo and its only a 3 tier cake she wants is 11, 9 and 7 .... and around 4" high each cake .... she doesnt want exactly the same thank goodness lol but she wants something similiar to the piping design :)

Sorry for any typo errors, my phone isnt the best to work on lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%