Basketball Cake

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 10 Jan 2014 , 4:21am by cakelove2105

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 17

Hello here,

I'm planning on making a surprise basketball cake for my brother's birthday. Will be my first time making a cake like this and don't want to screw it. My question is, how do I get basketball color on both Italian meringue and MMF. Here is a pic of what I want the cake to look like.

Other kind of ideas and/or suggestions welcome too.

Thank you so much :)

16 replies
cole10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cole10 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 12:52am
post #2 of 17

AAre you planning to cover it n fondant or buttercream ?

cakelove2105 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 1:10am
post #3 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cole10 

Are you planning to cover it n fondant or buttercream ?

havent decided yet, that's why i would like some ideas on both. Thank you Cole10 :)

cole10 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 1:53am
post #4 of 17

AI've never fooled with just buttercream . In my opinion, I think fondant is a cleaner look and you have more options for decorating. So I'd vote the fondant ball. I,would def suggest a ball pan. I believe Wilton has a basketball pan. Covering a sphere in fondant can be a little tricky, but you can do it. I put the ball on a cup or something that is small so when you drape the fondant over, you can smooth down as far as you can. As for coloring, I airbrush. Best investment I've made. If you don't have an airbrush, you'd have to knead in gel paste color into your fondant before you cover the ball. More time consuming and I always feared the color wouldn't be exactly as I wanted. Hope this helps!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 2:18am
post #5 of 17

if memory serves--there's a color called terracotta that would be a perfect match--

if i mixed that--it'd be orange and brown color and probably a tad of red and yellow icing --

cakelove2105 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 2:38am
post #6 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cole10 

I've never fooled with just buttercream . In my opinion, I think fondant is a cleaner look and you have more options for decorating. So I'd vote the fondant ball. I,would def suggest a ball pan. I believe Wilton has a basketball pan. Covering a sphere in fondant can be a little tricky, but you can do it. I put the ball on a cup or something that is small so when you drape the fondant over, you can smooth down as far as you can. As for coloring, I airbrush. Best investment I've made. If you don't have an airbrush, you'd have to knead in gel paste color into your fondant before you cover the ball. More time consuming and I always feared the color wouldn't be exactly as I wanted. Hope this helps!

Thanks cole10. I'm 100% agree with you; fondant is the cleanest way to do it. but my family don't like fondant very much that's why i'm so undecided They rather have Italian meringue on their cakes. I also think that the second picture's design, which seems to be some kind of BC, consumes a lot of time too. :(

cakelove2105 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 2:40am
post #7 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

if memory serves--there's a color called terracotta that would be a perfect match--

if i mixed that--it'd be orange and brown color and probably a tad of red and yellow icing --

Thanks a lot K8memphis :)

wandab509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandab509 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 17

AThere is a video on you tube for constructing & covering in fondant. I think its good. "The making of a carved Basketball cake timelapse" posted by Ashling Graham

cole10 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 17

A

Original message sent by cakelove2105

Thanks cole10. I'm 100% agree with you; fondant is the cleanest way to do it. but my family don't like fondant very much that's why i'm so undecided They rather have Italian meringue on their cakes. I also think that the second picture's design, which seems to be some kind of BC, consumes a lot of time too. :(

I understand that. I used to make my own fondant, but too messy and always had inconsistencies. Try Fondx brand. It has me sold and everyone that tries it. It's a marshmallow base...yummy! Worth a try...

cakelove2105 Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 1:06am
post #10 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by wandab509 

There is a video on you tube for constructing & covering in fondant. I think its good. "The making of a carved Basketball cake timelapse" posted by Ashling Graham

yeah, I saw that one. Its actually the only good video on this topic lol

books Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
books Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 2:32am
post #11 of 17

I used a crusting buttercream, to texture I used a new plastic kitchen scrubbie (tennis ball), the bumpie side of a paper towel (basket ball) a plastic weave no-slide drawer liner (football).*

The football & tennis ball both looked quite authentic, either could be used for a basketball.  

cakelove2105 Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 3:51am
post #12 of 17

A

Original message sent by books

I used a crusting buttercream, to texture I used a new plastic kitchen scrubbie (tennis ball), the bumpie side of a paper towel (basket ball) a plastic weave no-slide drawer liner (football).[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3163287/width/350/height/700]* [/URL]

The football & tennis ball both looked quite authentic, either could be used for a basketball.  

Do you know how to get the texture on fondant?

books Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
books Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 4:37am
post #13 of 17

I have not done a large surface, but I have done 1 inch strips by pressing in a plastic weave no-slip mat prior to placing the fondant on the cake. Not sure if it would stretch to much thou, you could try and do it after placing the fondant if it does stretch to much, as I didn't find the impression had to be perfectly placed, it still looked fine if I double/duplicate impressed the mat . Good -Luck just experiment with a small piece of fondant first.

By the way I baked the basketball in a Pyrex bowl. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 4:48am
post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cakelove2105 

Make them an IMBC cake...... what they like to eat.  It is a quick cake to make & decorate.

make yourself a fondant one for your portfolio. 

cakelove2105 Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 8:41pm
post #15 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by books 

I have not done a large surface, but I have done 1 inch strips by pressing in a plastic weave no-slip mat prior to placing the fondant on the cake. Not sure if it would stretch to much thou, you could try and do it after placing the fondant if it does stretch to much, as I didn't find the impression had to be perfectly placed, it still looked fine if I double/duplicate impressed the mat . Good -Luck just experiment with a small piece of fondant first.

By the way I baked the basketball in a Pyrex bowl. 

Thanks a lot books :)

candmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candmarie Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 4:08pm
post #16 of 17

I always mix my color in my fondant and I've never had any problems. Maybe you could do the frosting they want under the fondant (they can easily peel the fondant off). But If you have a thick enough crusting frosting recipe, you can easily apply print to that. I like to rub a paper towel over my frosting after it has sat for about 15 min, and gotten a crust. It should be pretty easy to find a paper towel with a dotted pattern on it to resemble the texture of a basketball. 

P.S.- I always use wilton gel colors. They're easily accessible, less expensive, and work great! I'd just start with orange and mix in other colors (such as brown and red) as you see fit! 

cakelove2105 Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 4:21am
post #17 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by candmarie 

I always mix my color in my fondant and I've never had any problems. Maybe you could do the frosting they want under the fondant (they can easily peel the fondant off). But If you have a thick enough crusting frosting recipe, you can easily apply print to that. I like to rub a paper towel over my frosting after it has sat for about 15 min, and gotten a crust. It should be pretty easy to find a paper towel with a dotted pattern on it to resemble the texture of a basketball. 

P.S.- I always use wilton gel colors. They're easily accessible, less expensive, and work great! I'd just start with orange and mix in other colors (such as brown and red) as you see fit! 

thanks candmarie :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%