Dessert Buffets And Tablescapes

Business By Nic Fury Updated 18 Jan 2014 , 11:56pm by Nic Fury

Nic Fury Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nic Fury Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 5:42am
post #1 of 13

Someone recently asked if I would do a dessert tablescape for a baby shower & I have no idea how to even begin pricing or planning. I've only done one for a family member & I was completely in charge of it (theme, budget, desserts, etc) so I'm not sure what questions I should be asking or how to go about it at all. She has sent me the invitations & general theme & would like to meet soon to go over everything, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

12 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 6:54am
post #2 of 13

AThen tell them no. It get easier and easier the more you say it.

They are a considerable investment for the jars and containers alone, and are really easy to make them ugly. I would get another one under my belt for a friend or family party and take extensive notes.

Nic Fury Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 7:29am
post #3 of 13

Thanks. I want to do it, though, & think I can. I just don't know where to start. 

jumjum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumjum Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 13

AThere is a bunch of info on howtocookthat.net (sorry, I'm on my cellphone and can't post the direct link)

It gives you great tips on how to calculate the candy and how to setup the table and display ;-) HTH

Nic Fury Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 9:43am
post #5 of 13

Thanks jumjum. I think I'm finally starting to make some (very slow) progress! 

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 10:35am
post #6 of 13

AI would recommend you grab a copy of Amy Atlas' book "Sweet Designs" it's all about table scrapes and styling, great ideas and a wealth of sources for supplies. Good luck! http://www.amazon.com/dp/1401324401/?tag=cakecentral-20

jumjum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumjum Posted 5 Jan 2014 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 13

A

Original message sent by Nic Fury

Thanks jumjum. I think I'm finally starting to make some (very slow) progress! 

Your welcome and good luck! ohh and on the very bottom of the page she also adds a link to Amy Atlas blog ...she does beautiful candy/dessert tables. Lots of tips on here blog ;-)

Nic Fury Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts 

I would recommend you grab a copy of Amy Atlas' book

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumjum 

she also adds a link to Amy Atlas blog ...

Thank you both! I did check her out & wow! Such great displays

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 13

I find the most profitable way for me to sell sweet tables is a per person price. Least expensive is $5.00 per person, that only includes the food presented and cleared. Any prop's or back drops are additional. http://realcakeinc.com/sweet-tables/

hth

Nic Fury Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 5:30am
post #10 of 13

Thank you so much! Absolutely wonderful tables! Can I ask, how many different dessert choices you allow? Is it the same regardless how much is ordered? Do you offer more choices for a fee? I am having a particularly difficult time in that area for some reason. 

jetta1872 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jetta1872 Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 7:24am
post #11 of 13

AFor your first time it might be easier to start with a flat fee for any decorating, backdrops and rental of display dishes, travel, set up, clean up, basically everything except dessert and then charge for desserts separately by the dozen. It kind of depends on how particular your client is about the exact dessert items they choose. I always start out by asking how many people will be at this event? Then I suggest about 2-3 pieces of mini dessert per person without a cake and 1-2 pieces of mini dessert if there will be a slice of cake for everyone. I will allow the client as many dessert choices as they want but let them know that the more options they have the more people tend to eat. In our experience the client will normally choose between 4-5 different desserts. Feel free to cap that at a certain number so you do t overwhelm yourself. Let me know if I can help more! Jennifer Honeycomb-events.com

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nic Fury 

Thank you so much! Absolutely wonderful tables! Can I ask, how many different dessert choices you allow? Is it the same regardless how much is ordered? Do you offer more choices for a fee? I am having a particularly difficult time in that area for some reason. 

Do you ever watch those home buying shows where the host first shows the people the dream house they asked for and shocks them with the price for that dream....than they show them houses in their budget? That's exactly how I handle selling sweet tables.

I let them tell me all the things they want than I give them a itemized quote for that. When they are shocked, I bring them down to reality with what wonderful things I can do with-in their budget. I let them pick where they want to spend their money. Usually it winds up that they just want great tasting pastries and aren't willing to pay for the wow décor. Often there's really only a couple items they really must have and I agree to have plenty on the table. I than I explain that I'm making all sort of pastries all the time and the most cost effective thing to do is let me choose what other pastries I have on hand and use those to fill out the rest of the table.

To save on their budget they usually choose to buy and set up the props themselves. I'll give them suggestions for ways to stretch their dollars and where I shop to buy items for the best value. I also rent out trays if they want to go that route. Most buy their own.

They can have whatever they want they just have to understand that everything costs money! Time is money. If they want to pay for every detail I'll do it for them.

Nic Fury Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you everyone SO MUCH for your replies. She, of course, ended up passing and is going to attempt it herself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%