First Client Complaining

Business By babcaro Updated 8 Aug 2014 , 11:35am by embersmom

babcaro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babcaro Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 47

Sorry to vent I show up to deliver cake i see the mother and she loves the cake plus all other things she ordered I set up say goodbye. a week later they finally drop off cake stand and complain about everthing they weren't satisfied then the mom starts the flowers on the cake should have been lilac not white and im like heres a picture they are Lilac, she said nothing and that they were dissatisifed with the cupcakes she ordered 100 macarons that I told her I priced her for 50 she got 100 it seems like those people that go eat finish all there food then complain to get it free! She saw the cake when i delivered and didnt complain then she didnt complain about the taste just the cake toppers and color of flowers and cupcakes its like they propably short on money so they just want to complain. Sorry to vent thank you for letting me vent =) 

46 replies
babcaro Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 47

sorry was rambeling, Has any one of you dealt with people like this that they just start complaining about everything yet you were there and know what you delivered and have pictures

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 47

It's happened to probably most every one of us.

babcaro Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 47

well thank you for responding I felt so bad yesterday I got all depressed my husband was like theres people like that but its easier to hear it from people who have dealt with cake complainers

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 47

i hope you didn't refund much if anything--so sorry that happened!

babcaro Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 47

No I didnt refund anything I just apologized 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 47

good for you--

babcaro Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 47

but seriously i felt like i was going to pass out im sure my blood pressure sky rocketed cause even my voice started to crack but i never lost my politeness though inside i was thinking other things 

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 47

At some point in everyone's career it happens. You kept your composure and apologized that's a darn good response. If it didn't upset you or hurt your feeling than you probably are a bad baker......... so take that as a pat on your back as being a person who really cares a lot.

I gave someone a refund for cupcakes because they were "really, really good".........just not as "special" as usual..........I regret that. I only hope she regrets it more ............because she no longer has a place for really, really good cupcakes anymore.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 47

AGood on you for not refunding, these people only continue because they keep getting everything for free.

babcaro Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 47

Thank you so much for your responses =)

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 12:22am
post #12 of 47

Don't refund anything to her.  If she truly had complaints she would have called you the next day, not wait a week to tell you about all the things that were wrong. It may be that she went way over budget and the cake is the easiest way to get money back.  Glad you have a photo of the cake to prove you did all that was asked for. 

In the future, if you didn't do so with this cake, I would have a sheet that lists everything the client is wanting on the cake or amounts of items such as cupcakes and designs.  This would insure the client gets what was ordered and save you from any future complaints, if any.

;-D

babcaro Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 12:47am
post #13 of 47

Thank You cakegrandma that is very smart idea I will do that to save me from future complaints if any =)

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 2:10am
post #14 of 47

Your work looks great and I am sure it was fine!

I am sorry you had a "bad" customer.

They are out there.  You just have to recognize them.  They are "never" happy and enjoy being that way.

Thank goodness 99 % of our real customers love what we do.  Keep doing what you are doing, because you make a difference!!!!!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 2:24am
post #15 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 

At some point in everyone's career it happens. You kept your composure and apologized that's a darn good response. If it didn't upset you or hurt your feeling than you probably are a bad baker......... so take that as a pat on your back as being a person who really cares a lot.

I gave someone a refund for cupcakes because they were "really, really good".........just not as "special" as usual..........I regret that. I only hope she regrets it more ............because she no longer has a place for really, really good cupcakes anymore.

that cracked me up! I did that "expel air quickly from the lungs and mouth, while lips flap" thing. Is there a name for that?

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 2:35am
post #16 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakegrandma 

Don't refund anything to her.  If she truly had complaints she would have called you the next day, not wait a week to tell you about all the things that were wrong. It may be that she went way over budget and the cake is the easiest way to get money back.  Glad you have a photo of the cake to prove you did all that was asked for. 

In the future, if you didn't do so with this cake, I would have a sheet that lists everything the client is wanting on the cake or amounts of items such as cupcakes and designs.  This would insure the client gets what was ordered and save you from any future complaints, if any.

;-D

Sounds like great advice. I think the fact that she received a large discount on the macarons should have been noted on it, too.

babcaro Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 4:29am
post #17 of 47

AThank you so much for your words it means a lot :) you guys are the best :)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 6:25pm
post #18 of 47

AThis is going to sound really mean to many of you, but here's some expert advice. I've never had anything close to this happen in the 6 years I've supported myself making cakes. Knock on wood. Yet I see these kinds of posts here all the time. To me that hints that the customer pool is "bad". And the way you get this kind of customer is to undercharge. This person was given 100 cookies half price? How did that come about? Also something I've never done.

I'm not saying this couldn't happen to me because I do everything right. Just that it's much, much more likely if you aren't charging enough.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 7:15pm
post #19 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

This is going to sound really mean to many of you, but here's some expert advice. I've never had anything close to this happen in the 6 years I've supported myself making cakes. Knock on wood. Yet I see these kinds of posts here all the time. To me that hints that the customer pool is "bad". And the way you get this kind of customer is to undercharge. This person was given 100 cookies half price? How did that come about? Also something I've never done.

I'm not saying this couldn't happen to me because I do everything right. Just that it's much, much more likely if you aren't charging enough.

Yep. Never had it happen either. I've had a complaint or two, but either I've deserved it or there was a miscommunication that was easily fixed. 

I have BIG cheapo-radar though and I don't undercharge for my area. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 5:03am
post #20 of 47

ASo true, the class of customer that understands and appreciates that they are paying for a truly luxury product does not pull stunts like this.

babcaro Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 5:47am
post #21 of 47

AThank you and your right I've told myself that from now on that if they can't afford my price I'm not going to deal with that client glad I was able to download the cake price matrix you guys are amazing

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 11:34am
post #22 of 47

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by babcaro 

Thank you and your right I've told myself that from now on that if they can't afford my price I'm not going to deal with that client glad I was able to download the cake price matrix you guys are amazing

I'm so sorry this happened to you babcaro, but as everyone else has pointed out, you did good in not refunding!!

You mention a price matrix, is that here in the forum? - Thanks! - Nevermind, FOUND IT!! :D lol

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 12:51pm
post #23 of 47

One of my customers did a royal iced wedding cake - which was duly delivered and accepted.  Then after the honeymoon the whole family pitched up complaining that the icing was hard and could not be cut.  The top tier was duly taken into the kitchen there and then - and easily cut with a pretty blunt knife.  My customer offered a small refund to cater for their disappointment (but was seething inside)  She heard nothing.   TWO YEARS later - she gets an email asking for the refund.  Can you believe it?  Some people are just extraordinary (and that is the polite word).  I think getting them to accept delivery of a contract, and get them to sign to say that the visual, wording and colours are fine.    So you will always get a couple of immoral customers, but the lesson is to NOT let their values, affect your day.  You are in the right, if you feel you have done everything possible to get the contract exactly as was ordered.   Normally an argument will start, because the order is not as they expected, and if you can minimise this risk by having an order outlining their expectations, get them to sign it, and then produce your goods exactly to the order, then no argument can be started.  You have approval by signature.   Hope that helps.  Kx

babcaro Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 2:17pm
post #24 of 47

AOk glad you found it :)

babcaro Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 2:25pm
post #25 of 47

AWow can't believe after 2 years some people are horrible I'm very thankful to have you ladies give me some great advise because I was really depressed I am not going to lie it is still in the back of my mind bothering me but I realize that I just need to deal with clients who can afford to pay

reneefig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneefig Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 3:28pm
post #26 of 47

exactly what I was gonna say! There are many people out there that have no problem doing this as a tactic, to get things cheaper or for free. I have seen it many times don't fall for it, and stick to your guns. Its hard and nerve wracking for you, but its usually not you, stand by your product and hard work, and don't take them again as customers. Macarons = HARD to perfect, don't give them away! Chin up!!

babcaro Posted 2 Jan 2014 , 11:09pm
post #27 of 47

thank you reneefig =)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 1:54am
post #28 of 47

I once had a group of customers at a delivery standing in front of me and speaking in a different language (that I did speak but they didn't know that I understood them) talking about how much they could get for a refund if they complained. I stood there with the contract while they tried to tell me everything about it was wrong, even though it was right there on the contract. After they talked about how to get money back and kept saying "she won't take the cake back" in the other language for a while I got tired of listening to them and I took out my checkbook, wrote them a check for the refund, took the cake and drove right to the Ronald McDonald house to donate it. They were surprised that I actually took the cake back, but I hope they enjoyed their supermarket sheet cakes that they kept telling me would have been better than the four-tiered cake that I'd made for their event.

The only thing I wish I had done differently would have been to tell them goodbye in their language when I drove away with the cake.

babcaro Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 2:27am
post #29 of 47

AMy goodness some people have no respect cake we do are nothing like walmart cakes we take hours to make sorry that happened to you

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 9:52am
post #30 of 47

I love it - that you took the cake back.   I would have loved to see the expressions on their faces too.   Some people are so cheap aren't they.   So I guess the solution is that we must all aim for a better type of customer - hopefully who are both truthful and honest too.  Kx 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%