Help: Get Fondant Neat On The Cake

Decorating By dreamycakes1 Updated 13 Jan 2014 , 2:45am by dreamycakes1

dreamycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamycakes1 Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 1:51am
post #1 of 12

Hi All,

I made several cakes and I'm still struggling to get neat work on the cake covering with fondant. When I cover the fondant, I rolled fondant and cover using the roller then smooth with my hand and then use the smoother (cake baked and covered with butter icing. Tried put the cake inside the refrigerator and with it too). initially it looks good. after 2 hours I see the fondant coming off from the cake and lots of air stuck there. Even though I remove the air and smooth it again, another 2 hrs later the fondant is coming off as before. Is there any technic to do the fondant stuck on the cake?   

Please help 

Thanks..

11 replies
jt332211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jt332211 Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 3:58am
post #2 of 12

AHi, I'm no expert, but my mother-in-law was, and she would always paint cakes with warm apricot jam then apply fondant. Never butter icing.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 3:59am
post #3 of 12

AAre you using a crusting buttercream? If so, are you moistening it before applying fondant? The fondant needs a damp surface to cling to. Or- are you letting your cake settle after filling and crumb coating?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 12

AFirst you should make sure your icing is smooth to begin with, personally I've never had much luck with the American or 'crusting' BC I prefer to use ganache or a Meringue BC (Italian, Swiss, or French).

Your icing could have bubbles trapped inside as well-there's a great article on ACakeToRemember(s) blog-I will try to find it and post.

Did you let your cakes settle before covering? This can cause problems with buldging/sagging fondant.

You might not be sealing your fondant, causing the condensation when pulling from the fridge-which can make your fondant wilt/droop. Your fondant might be too thick. It's difficult to tell without seeing.

Many people debate over refrigerating fondant covered cakes, technically if your fillings aren't perishable they don't need to be refrigerated. I like to refrigerate all cakes, it makes transport easier. I will get condensation occasionally but I simply leave my cakes to dry before trying to move or work with and they are fine.

Again, it's difficult to 'diagnose' without a picture. If you can post it we can probably help more or explain the process you used-you could be missing a step if this is happening often.

It does take a while to get a technique down that works for you, with practice your work will improve.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 5:01am
post #5 of 12

APractice.

dreamycakes1 Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 4:25am
post #6 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

Are you using a crusting buttercream? If so, are you moistening it before applying fondant? The fondant needs a damp surface to cling to.
Or- are you letting your cake settle after filling and crumb coating?

I'm using buttercream which is little moister. When I put it on the cake and smooth it, It looks very nice. But after a hour or so on the side it is coming off. I tried with more moister on the side, it made the fondant tear.

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 12

ALetting the cake settle is one key element for sure. When I had trouble with 'sliding, fondant it was because I had the buttercream too thick.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 12

i chill the iced cake before fondanting--the change in temp from fridge to room temp gives enough condensation to make the fondant adhere well--then i fridge it again so the fondant seizes up and dries out a bit--encasing it--

you only want it moist not any kind of wet--if you spritzed the cake you'd need to wipe off the excess so it doesn't make the fondant slide & tear--

sometimes i put tiny holes in each layer through the fondant to the cake so any trapped air can escape and not cause any bubbling--the holes are placed in 'the back' or disguised around decor or angled up so they are not noticeable--

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 1 Jan 2014 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 12

ASmckinney how do you seal the fondant? I'm attempting my first fondant cake and it's a pretty important cake, so any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

dreamycakes1 Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 4:53am
post #10 of 12

I'm getting better now...Thanks everyone for your advice...I really appreciate them :)

The cakes I made so far....

You can see this is not that perfect with the smooth

Little better (I love the wood effect cake...I can see, need little improvement in the ball)

I like this one...Hopefully I'm getting there :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 12

of course you are--you can see the progress in each one--awesome

dreamycakes1 Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 2:45am
post #12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

of course you are--you can see the progress in each one--awesome

Thank you!!! You made my day :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%