Nut Roll Cookies

Baking By cakecrafting450 Updated 18 Dec 2013 , 11:10am by Brooks321

cakecrafting450 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrafting450 Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 7

I'm looking for a recipe or some help with nut rolls. My husband's grandmother used to make them and he said they are the kind that do not look like a cinnamon roll where the dough is flattened, filling spread, rolled up and sliced before baking. The nut rolls from his memory are more of a square of dough with the filling spread diagonally and the corners pinched together or overlapped. 

I've searched google and pinterest and I am lost. Does anybody have any experience with these types of "cookies"? Would anyone be willing to direct me to a recipe? 

6 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 7

look for pinwheel  cookies

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 7

That's so funny because I'm on the same quest.  I could have sworn that my husband's grandmother gave me the recipe a few years ago but I can't find it anywhere.  You're right, it's not like the spirals you see on the internet.  The nut filling is inside the cookies and totally covered in dough. 

If I come across anything I'll let you know!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 7

Ok, how about this?  These look like my husband's grandmother's cookies.

http://pittsburghcookietable.blogspot.com/2012/07/nut-horns-or-how-i-overcame-my-fear-of.html

It would also make sense because they are from PA.

cakecrafting450 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrafting450 Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks all. I will check the suggestions. 

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 7

You might look for filled cookie recipes. We have one in our family that has ground raisins and chopped walnuts in the filling, but you could use figs and pecans, apricots and hazlenuts, etc.

Brooks321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooks321 Posted 18 Dec 2013 , 11:10am
post #7 of 7

Try this cookies. I love them. Just add nuts if you want :)  http://cookiteasy.net/recipe/cinnamon-pinwheel-cookies-313983.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%